A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I might be buying an audi A4 tonight...please read!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I might be buying an audi A4 tonight...please read!

Hey guys, I am thinking about buying a 1999 Audi A4 1.8T 5spd with 50k miles. It has had 5 different owners, I think two of them were dealers. They say it has never been modded in any way. I got to drive it yesterday and from my first impression I thought it was a really solid car for the price. Low miles was nice as well as the interior was in pretty good condition. ANYWAYS, I just was wondering if there was anything I should know before I buy the car. I dont have time to take it to a mechanic so I dont know if there could possible be any problems with any of the mechanics. Like I said, I did get to drive it around and from that everything sounded and felt fine, but if there is anything I should know, something I should check, or something I should watch out for, PLEASE let me know so that I can make the right descision(sp?). Thanks guys

PS: Oh ya, and about how long do you think the car will last before some major problems start? I need to get about 30K or more miles out of it. Also, It has a fog light button...but no fog lights.....?? and its not the rear one cuz i see that button next to it. Thanks again.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Elder Member

Default This should help.

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2494241.phtml">here.</a></li></ul>
Old 04-12-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Through 1999, A4 foglights were integrated into the headlamps...

1999.5 and on cars have the separate fogs down below.

Five owners in eight years with only 50k miles ? Sounds kinda bizarre. I would feel better knowing the car was sitting in a garage for a while and/or one of the owners hardly ever drove it. Otherwise it could be a lemon car. I'd be very careful and you really should have a mechanic check it out. It's an OLDER car now despite the low mileage.

How much are you going to offer the owner ?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Great Link

Hits just about everything you should look for.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:47 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default *sigh* 5 owners and 50K miles? Why is this car changing hands so much??

I could tell you to check a bunch of things, but what it really boils down to is you should take the time to bring it to a mechanic so you know what you're getting into. It's your money though...if you want to gamble with $8K...roll the dice.

My advice is to do some homework on AW. People have written countless pre-purchase inspection threads that cover this topic in detail. Once you know what you want to look out for, hand it to a private mechanic, and make sure he covers your points of concern...and if everything turns up okay, THEN make the purchase. Yes, it's work...but again, it's your $8K to spend...do what you wish.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Only 50k?

That sounds suspect to me. I saw that you said you don't have the time to take it to a mech, but here's a story for you - my brother was interested in a 2000 like mine, he didn't want to go to a mech and spend the money but I STRONGLY urged him to. $150 later he learned that the car needed $2000 worth of stuff done to it (window regulators, control arms, blah blah).

He didn't buy it. So I would suggest you find the time to take it to a mech.

And if you do, I would take the time to get the oil analyzed by Blackstone labs http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ or another reputable lab to see if it's been abused. An oil analysis can tell you a whole lot.

There are some serious problem cars out there and you want to do all you can to avoid them!
Old 04-12-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Why do I have this bad feeling he's already bought the car...

Big D'OH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: I might be buying an audi A4 tonight...please read!

wow thanks for all the help guys...this was my first post and i didnt think i was gonna get any feedback. That link helped alot. That was exactly wat i was looking for. Now its too bad i dont have the time to look for the car with the list in front of me. I think I might just have to let this one go..im not sure wat to do.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Let it go...

...og it teL
Old 04-12-2007, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

There are plenty of others

Quick Reply: I might be buying an audi A4 tonight...please read!