A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I think I need to adjust my Euro HIDs -- road rage story enclosed

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I think I need to adjust my Euro HIDs -- road rage story enclosed

Saturday was my birthday, and my girlfriend and I were driving to mom's house for dinner. I just had to stop at my apartment first to drop off some stuff.
We were driving on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, right near my neighborhood -- Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, when a guy in some big American boat (Crown Vic or equivalent) got behind me and turned on his brights.

Actually they were not that bright -- it did not bother me as much as I would have expected.
I flipped up my mirror. No biggie.
Sped up a little, he continued tailgating.
I turned on my rear foglight. No change.
I slowed down, hoping he would pass me. Nope.
I moved into the right lane, since I was coming up on my exit, about 3/4mi away. This guy turned off his brights so as to not bother the car in front of him. He changed lanes and got behind me again, and deliberately turned his brights back on.

I can only assume that I had passed this guy earlier, and my HIDs bothered him, and now he was getting me back. So I didn't get too angry. I actually found the whole thing amusing.

I was coming close to my exit, and I didn't want this angry person following me home. There was a long sweeping curve coming up in the road, so I downshifted to 3rd gear, crossed 2 lanes of traffic, sped up to 80mph in the left lane, went around the turn (it had just started raining too), got back in the right lane, and took my exit. If that guy had even TRIED to follow me he would have spun out.

I'm glad that I got through the incident unscathed. But I think I should take this guy's less-than-friendly hint that my headlights are annoying.

The night before, I had gone to a show in CT with my girlfriend and a few of her friends. Afterwards I was following her friends on the Merritt Parkway. They told me that my headlights were REALLY annoying -- flashing blue and white the whole time.

I have the Philips HID upgrade in my Euro housings. Obviously no auto-levelling. So with each bump on the road, the headlights were dipping and bouncing. (The BQE is a VERY bumpy road, so my headlights were probably VERY annoying to the guy in the Crown Vic.)
I have them aimed such that the horizon line is just below the trunk of the cars in front of me.
I thought that they were pretty low -- they are certainly lower than I had them when I had the halogen bulbs in.
I guess I should make them lower so that they are less annoying to other cars.
What do you think?

-- Peter
Old 03-03-2002, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with the auto dimming mirrors I dont even know when people have their brights on behind me !
Old 03-03-2002, 08:45 PM

when you say even with peoples trunk lids. from how far away is that.
Old 03-03-2002, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there any way to hook up the auto leveling?
Old 03-03-2002, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Autoleveling does nothing in this case. Just adjust them a littlle lower.

Auto-leveling will only kick in if you are standing on a steep hill or if the car has an extra heavy load in the back, lifting the front up. It takes about 5-10 sec to kick in. I watch it everytime I come to a light at the end of my street. It's on a steep down slope. Every time I see it adjust after I've been standing on that hill for 10 sec I think "well that was useless".

I have put in the xenons in my A4 after the fact. When I come around to it I was going to try to put in the leveling motors and wire them to an adjustment dial on one of the dash blank switches. Now that would be cool.
Old 03-03-2002, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

so its not something that very important to have just a feature
Old 03-03-2002, 09:59 PM
Elder Member

next time.. just get behind him and give him the brights!!! just so he realizes what brights are.
Old 03-03-2002, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Expert

thats dangerous, you never know what kind of psycho is driving and what they might do !!
Old 03-03-2002, 10:03 PM
Elder Member

hehe.... if it wasnt dangerous.. it wouldnt be fun... =)
Old 03-03-2002, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Expert

just make sure you can outrun them before you try it ;-) (1000th post) !!

Quick Reply: I think I need to adjust my Euro HIDs -- road rage story enclosed