A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I think mounts are culprit: Sometimes if I try to shift into 1st (at stop) it does not go all the

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think mounts are culprit: Sometimes if I try to shift into 1st (at stop) it does not go all the

way in (today I accidently ground tranny doing so) but once I give touch of gas while partly letting out clutch, it goes into right gear. I think this is happening because the transmission mounts are shot (122k on stock mounts w/ chip or K04 for most of life) and the transmission can shift/twist too much right now.

Is this a reasonable assumption? I would like to replace all mounts eventually anyways to smooth out shifting. I plan on doing motor and tranny mounts. I would like to solve problem though, so think tranny mounts first would be best. Would this likely be best route?

Also I have seen people make Urethane mounts, is it possible/beneficial to use urethane to reinforce stock mount (fill in the open spaces). I have used (i think 5k miles) stock mount from Doug (dungbeetle) that i would like to use, I know either way it will be better than current beat up mount, but would like greatest improvement.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

it's possible the shifter is out of alignment.. Try going into second then first
Old 11-14-2007, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default no, mine's been like that forever. It'll keep doing that. Either do what Imawesomes! said

or do what I do and let the clutch pedal up just slightly while pushing the shifter up into 1st. I have a solid trans mount on the passenger side, urethane on the driver side, DTS, and they made no difference with that 1st gear issue.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default alright, I'll try this method (was looking for reason to hurry along mount replacement..) probably

do the tranny mounts anyways.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

then why ask?
Old 11-14-2007, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I usually do your suggested method (pushing shifter into 1st while letting out clutch) Today was

different scenario (which resulted in grinding) because I was pulling out of parallel parking spot (was on hill, so car could roll backwards, therefore I didnt need to put it in reverse). Basically I was looking out back window (while rolling backwards) so right arm was behind passenger seat headrest, and then turned back around and started letting out clutch to go forward out of spot and GRIND. Basically was odd situation where right hand was otherwise occupied and wasnt on shifter.

At least now I know its normal. had me quite worried for a second.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default To determine if it would fix the problem. I want to replace, but needing to replace would justify..

simple psyche thing. Really shouldnt be spending money on uneeded car things. I just didnt want to end up damaging the transmission because of excessive movement (resulting in grinding)
Old 11-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm in the same boat as you

200K miles on the car with all original mounts, except engine mounts replaced 100K miles ago with exact replacements.
You guys don't think replacing mounts will make it easier to get into first gear, huh?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default clutch is hydraulic. Not sure if that would effect the clutch linkage.

For Sure I could see it if it was mechanical.

I would be more suspect of the syncos
Old 11-14-2007, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I guess not. Seems like tranny movement would compound problem though. But logic is not always

easily applied when diagnosing problems with our cars. I hope to replace tranny mounts over either thanksgiving break or christmas, I'll be sure to post up my findings (whether reduced problem or not)

Quick Reply: I think mounts are culprit: Sometimes if I try to shift into 1st (at stop) it does not go all the