A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

If the dealer suspects chipping. Do you admit it? I'd hate that to come back to haunt me.(pardon the halloween pun)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-1998, 04:43 AM
ROG.

If the dealer suspects chipping. Do you admit it? I'd hate that to come back to haunt me.(pardon the halloween pun)
Old 10-31-1998, 05:24 AM
Jeremy

Default Re: If the dealer suspects chipping. Do you admit it? I'd hate that to come back to haunt me.(pardon the halloween pun)

I would say depending on the circumstances. I've been contemplating the same thing. Here are my thoughts. First, depending on which chip you have you might be able to get away with it. I have the Wett chip and it allows you to switch from the performance chip back to the stock chip. That takes care of any diagnoistic checks. If the dealer goes to the trouble of actually checking your ECU they still would be able to tell. I don't condone fibbing, however, I would say yeah I had a chip, but I wasn't happy with it, hence the modifications in my ECU. They can't tell via the car if I'm telling the truth or not. Legally, this is the most important part, they can not void your full warranty. They can void your warranty to the extent of the damages you chip has directly effected your car. For example you have the chip and you have a faulty windshield wiper they can't say because of the chip they won't replace it. Anyways, sorry this was kind of long, however, I hope I was helpful.
Old 10-31-1998, 06:21 PM
Cameron

Default I'd change dealers if my dealer weren't chip-friendly (already did)...

I'm a pretty suspicious-looking guy, I'll admit that. I'm sixteen, most of the guys coming into the dealership are forty and have bone-stock A4's. I showed up and the dealer was like, "Your car seems to be acting strange, we'd like to take a look at it." I knew this had to be a "We don't like your chipping... how about we void your warranty?" ploy, so my answer was simple.<p>"I inspected the car before coming here. If you check my ECU, you will be preforming service not requested by me, nor any person with ownership or legal control of the car. If you would like to do this, I will be more than happy to bring a lawsuit. Otherwise, I suggest you allow me to leave and not return to your dealer, as you are not friendly to enthusiasts, obviously not being enthusiastic about automobiles yourselves. Thank you for your time, gentlemen."<p>Haven't been to the dealer since.<p>Cameron