A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

If your check engine light comes on...check this before

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-1998, 06:46 AM
chrisd

Default If your check engine light comes on...check this before

you get nervous or anxious. <p>Background: I was driving back home from LAX(approx 60 miles) at roughly 90 mph. When back in my town, my check engine light goes off; I'm thinking shi$, shi$, shi$. What have I done..not enough oil, engines too hot, on and on and on. <p>Action:<br>Swing by the dealer saturday a.m. - no service guys just sales guys.. I ask for someone who knows anything about audis...one guy steps up...I tell him my story... he say's, did you get gas recently... duh, yeah last nighht I respond...he says pop the fuel door... there is your answer...duh,uh my fuel cap is still at the fuel pump. Damn I'm dumb.<p>Turns out the emisssion system picks up on the pressure change pretty quickly. Sorry if this is old news but I thought it was pretty cool, even if I am knucklehead for leaving it at the station in the first place.<p>98.5 avant qms
Old 11-16-1998, 07:17 AM
Greg S (not Slater)

Default Light goes "off" or "on"?

Did your "Check Engine" light goe "off" or "on" ?<br> ; - )<p>Greg "S"
Old 11-16-1998, 07:31 AM
DH

Default Funny

I once accidentally turned the trip computer off when actuating the windshiled wipers. I knew how to operate the computer. When I noticed that the computer had gone blank, however, it did not dawn on me that I may have accidentally switched it off. I even scrolled through mpg, avg. speed, distance, and etc. but never once hit the button on the bottom of the wiper stem.<p>I drove by the dealer and the service manager jumped in my car and kindly pointed out that I had simply turned it off. Double Duh!<p>For fuel cap, why not a check fuel cap light. While I am kidding, that check engine light can be scarry.
Old 11-16-1998, 07:37 AM
TGB

Default Re: If your check engine light comes on...(no Audi content)

The exact same problem has happend with my Explorer and my girlfriend's Jimmy only our gas caps were on, they were just not tight enough.<p>By taking the cap off and putting it on again, the check engine light went off.<p>TGB 1999 1.8T qMS (On train)
Old 11-16-1998, 06:33 PM
DrSmith

Default 2nd dealer fixed mine first try !!

I was getting check engine light and normal run around BS from my dealer.<p>I took the car into a different dealer who "pressurized" the gas tank and line.<p>YIKES -- They found a leak -- fixed it, and no more check engine light...!!!! YippEE<p><br>