A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Just got my car back from a friend, multiple problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof, windows, door locks not working, Vagcom wont communicate with lock pump

So I just got my car back (1999 audi A4 B5 manual 1.8T quattro) to a slew of weird problems.

Hazards randomly turning on (standing still, moving, reverse, whatever). I can click them off and sometimes they don't come back on but other times they'll keep clicking on.

Windows/Sunroof doesn't work. The central locking is still working, and it looks like all the fuses are good at the fuse box.

Car is starting without the clutch. It required the clutch before I lent it to her, now it does not. I don't even know.

I just pulled the negative cable and by doing that it fixed a couple other issues (for some reason that appears to have fixed a door switch problem)

I'm in delaware so it has been kind of wet lately but it did fine all fall with massive amounts of rain. I don't even know where to start. I feel like the windows and sunroof are related but I haven't the slightest how. I thing the hazards issue is related to some type of collision issue, but I'm not certain.

Laptop is dead but in the morning I'm going to go out and see what codes I'll pull. In the meantime what else should I add to my list of things to check tomorrow?

Last edited by loba; 02-11-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

when you pulled the battery did you step on the break to drain the left over juice? try it out. may help alittle bit more what may of also happened is maybe she tryed jumping starting it or something. Mothers jag messed up the door locks and windows when they didnt jump start the car right, whenever I rolled down the front window the rear would go down. I fixed most problems except one door wont unlock automaticly by doing this process with the battery.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Will try that tomorrow.

The car will not communicate with VAG-Com at all. I have no idea why, no controllers no nothing.

Will try dropkicking laptop tomorrow.

Seriously I don't know what the hell happened to my car, but it's in horrible disarray and I have no idea what to do. And the only repair shop here is the Audi dealer, and I like my wallet too much to afford them.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by loba
So I just got my car back (1999 audi A4 B5 manual 1.8T quattro) to a slew of weird problems.

Hazards randomly turning on (standing still, moving, reverse, whatever). I can click them off and sometimes they don't come back on but other times they'll keep clicking on.

Windows/Sunroof doesn't work. The central locking is still working, and it looks like all the fuses are good at the fuse box.

Car is starting without the clutch. It required the clutch before I lent it to her, now it does not. I don't even know.

I just pulled the negative cable and by doing that it fixed a couple other issues (for some reason that appears to have fixed a door switch problem)

I'm in delaware so it has been kind of wet lately but it did fine all fall with massive amounts of rain. I don't even know where to start. I feel like the windows and sunroof are related but I haven't the slightest how. I thing the hazards issue is related to some type of collision issue, but I'm not certain.

Laptop is dead but in the morning I'm going to go out and see what codes I'll pull. In the meantime what else should I add to my list of things to check tomorrow?
Sounds like potentially the electronics / alarm / central locking got wet.(open window in the rain). How is the battery? The electronics in these cars doesn' t do well with low voltage.

Quite often the central locking vacuum pump and controller in the trunk gets waterlogged when the drain is blocked and all sorts of weird stuff happens.

Three thing tend to lock out VAG.com

Radio
ABS module
Cluster

In that order.

There's a switch on the clutch pedal.Depending on which version you have they are high failure items. They have a self adjustment ratcheting system that can mess up and get jammed.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
Sounds like potentially the electronics / alarm / central locking got wet.(open window in the rain). How is the battery? The electronics in these cars doesn' t do well with low voltage.

Quite often the central locking vacuum pump and controller in the trunk gets waterlogged when the drain is blocked and all sorts of weird stuff happens.

Three thing tend to lock out VAG.com

Radio
ABS module
Cluster

In that order.

There's a switch on the clutch pedal.Depending on which version you have they are high failure items. They have a self adjustment ratcheting system that can mess up and get jammed.
Thanks for the response. I did just pull my battery and my radio is still locked cause i was being lazy. And my ABS module needs to be sent in for replacement. God I love you, I'll do those things tomorrow and see what happens.

Central locking mech, Would the doors still work with the fob if that was bad? Or is that one of those parts that when it goes bad it randomly decides what does and doesn't work?

Battery is new, windows to the best of my knowledge have remained closed. And I'm assuming with the drain you're talking about the sunroof drain? I haven't looked at that yet, but I can't really open my sunroof to pour water in there and look, plus it's gonna start snowing tomorrow.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hope she's worth it.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This car is possessed. Don't have the tools to get the radio out to try unplugging it, but it's new thing is to flash the interior lights on and off and ding, if i slam the drivers side door closed it stops (door switch?)

So no luck on the VAGCOM after unlocking the radio. It's 25 degrees and I'm working outside.

On top of that I think my e brake cable/rear calipers are frozen, E-brake won't release.

I can't win
Old 01-11-2011, 05:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Holy crap!! You got some bad luck.... I'm new to audi but it sounds like water go into something.... I would take the battery cables off for a few hours and see if it resets anything and put it back on. I would post everywhere till you could figure it out.

Good luck.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Battery is new, windows to the best of my knowledge have remained closed. And I'm assuming with the drain you're talking about the sunroof drain? I haven't looked at that yet, but I can't really open my sunroof to pour water in there and look, plus it's gonna start snowing tomorrow.

Thanks for the ideas.
It's not the sunroof drain, it's in the trunk by the spare wheel. The vacuum pump and controller get wet and all sorts of weird stuff happens.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
It's not the sunroof drain, it's in the trunk by the spare wheel. The vacuum pump and controller get wet and all sorts of weird stuff happens.
You have an image? I'm assuming you mean on the side?

My alarm is going off now too :-/ Anyone have a full wiring diagram? I do much better with those

Quick Reply: Just got my car back from a friend, multiple problems