A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Just got my car back from a friend, multiple problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy hell. I found the problem.

The wiring harness under the passenger seat is ****ed. Absolutely. There's like 10 blown wires. Plus the carpet is soaked. So I have to fix that sunroof leak in a hurry.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You might have a mess, but at least you know where the mess is. You're way down the road now Loba. Nicely done!
Old 02-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mtroxel
You might have a mess, but at least you know where the mess is. You're way down the road now Loba. Nicely done!
So I have another question. Where are the most common spots for the sunroof to leak? I think it's leaking bilaterally in the front, judging by the water damage I'm seeing. Do they detach at the drain nozzels by the sunroof frame? Or do they jam up and leak at the bottom? I'm assuming both of them aren't broken and that they're simply disconnected/jammed.

Also, how the hell do you get the front pillar covers off ( the ones between the dash and the headliner? Just pull really hard or what?
Old 02-18-2011, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by loba
Do they detach at the drain nozzels by the sunroof frame? Or do they jam up and leak at the bottom? I'm assuming both of them aren't broken and that they're simply disconnected/jammed.
Usually the drain get's plugged. It comes out the door jam, right by the hinges you'll see a rubber thing. Poke something up there and see if you can unplug it.

Originally Posted by loba
Also, how the hell do you get the front pillar covers off ( the ones between the dash and the headliner? Just pull really hard or what?
You pull really hard - and hope you don't break it. IIRC there are 2 or 3 really tough little clips that hold on to that thing.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Cool thanks - Effing with it tomorrow, will report progress.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Loba,

Here's the 2 pages from Bentley on cleaning the sunroof drains.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks again!

Holy hell. 3 broken wires, 3 highly corroded and damaged wires. 6 repaired. Nothing pretty, butt connectors and waterproofed with electrical tape, it'll hold.

Clearing the drains tomorrow with some 14g wire, although I think the hoses are discoonnected (sagging headliner)
Old 02-20-2011, 06:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Shot a speedo cable through both front drains - not even a hint of dirt, went all the way though without issue.

However, that doesn't rule out them being partially disconnected at the sunroof. So I guess headliner is coming off when I get the chance next.

Also, I noticed water physically ON the top of the fuse box last time. Disconnected driver's side tube?
Old 02-20-2011, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If the tubes were disconnected in the roof, wouldn't the water be coming though your headliner? Since the water is under the feet of the pass I would think a hose disconnection would be down where the water exits in the A pillar.

But now that you're talking fuse box it makes me wonder if the drains in front of your windshield are clogged with leaves and you're getting water from that whole battery/steering resevoir/heater filter area.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You know I thought that at one point too, but a couple months ago I had that whole area emptied to replace the windshield wiper motor and I cleared all that crap out.

So I guess I neeed to rip all that **** apart and start looking around again? I guess I can plastic bag the sunroof to see if that's the cause of the leak. Maybe run the car through a car wash after I take a few panels off to see if I can see evidence of a leak?

Quick Reply: Just got my car back from a friend, multiple problems