A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Leatherette interior..(more)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-1999, 12:51 PM
Chris K

Default Leatherette interior..(more)

I have leatherette seats in my 98.5 1.8TQTS. I've liked the look and feel of the seats and they seem like real leather. However, one things has always been bothering me is the fact that it really smells like rubber. Now that the weather is getting warmer I can't stand this rubbery smell anymore. I have 6 (yeah thats right 6) air fresheners in my car and all I smell is the damn rubber every time I get in the car.. Anyone done anything about this? Anything I can put on the seats to rid of the rubbery smell or to make it smell like leather? I'm up for any suggestions.. I feel like I've got a rubber band stuck in my nose every time I get in my car because all I smell is you know what.. rubber..<p>Chris K<br>98.5 1.8TQTS TAP Stage II
Old 04-13-1999, 12:58 PM
anonymous

Default Well, I stepped in dog sh*t today & I didn't notice the rubber smell at all.

True story.<p>Actually, I don't mind the "rubber" smell.<br>Maybe one of the vinyl cleaning products will alter it sufficiently.
Old 04-13-1999, 12:58 PM

Don't let the kids borrow the car. Then you won't have that rubber smell coming from the back seat.
Old 04-13-1999, 01:07 PM
Miles

Default R U Serious?

I'm only asking because I've got the leatherette interior in my 98, and I never ever noticed any kind of rubber smell. I've also never heard this mentioned on this board in the two years I've been reading it-- and believe me, people here complain about EVERYTHING. Something else must be going on. You don't have rubber floor mats by any chance, do you?<p>Miles
Old 04-13-1999, 01:15 PM
SmartAss

Maybe you're smelling your upper lip...I've not noticed this at all
Old 04-13-1999, 01:17 PM
MichaelB

You could install aftermarket leather on the seats for about $1200.
Old 04-13-1999, 01:20 PM
SmartAss2

Maybe you left that used condom on the floor?
Old 04-13-1999, 01:21 PM
cll

I suggest leather pants or skirts
Old 04-13-1999, 01:27 PM
Josh

I use a leather cleaner/conditioner set which seems to have the smell of leather
Old 04-13-1999, 05:11 PM
BDW

Default Re: Leatherette interior..(more)

<br>Don't notice any "rubber" smell in mine ... just new car smell and I guess the seats smell like, well, what they are, which is vinyl.<p>Don't mean to be the Forum physician or psychologist, but the only things I can come up with regarding your post are: 1) You have a physical hypersensitivity to the scent you perceive as "rubber" (this actually happens, some people just can't stand certain smells or tastes), or 2) You have formed an pyscholgical obsession about this issue (I bring up this possibility because you say you have SIX air fresheners in your car. That sounds like it may be obsessive behavior (please don't take this as an insult, most of us have a few obsessive-compulsive tendencies. Just the fact that we hang around this forum reveals a bent toward obsession with our A4s). If there are any actual pyschologists reading this, opinions? <p>Anyway, hope you can get this resolved, one way or another.<p>BDW '99 1.8Tqms

Quick Reply: Leatherette interior..(more)