A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

More fender rolling questions. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More fender rolling questions. Please help!

So I called up a few places yesterday about getting my fenders rolled. This is what I got:

German Auto Body in Santa Clara refused to do it. He said it's not a good idea and I should do everything else possible to solve the problem (new wheels, raise car, etc). Ok, that's bull****.

Streetwize in Fremont. They are asking $170 to do the fronts only. They say they will heat the paint and all that. They have a nice website if that means anything. They seem good but expensive.

The Works in Santa Clara (I think). The guy there said he would charge $150 but said he wouldn't heat the paint because it could burn. He also said it would take over an hour to do.

I am so confused. These prices seem really high.

Questions:

1. Should they heat the paint?
2. How long does it take?
3. What's a fair price?
4. How do I know if rolling my fenders will stop the rubbing? I mean, how do I tell if the rubbing is bad or not? My wheels are 18X8 BBS RX with 32 offset.

Thanks a lot for the help! I am really confused right now about what to do. If anyone has recommendations for other shops that would be great too.

I also bought an s4 wheel liner because my current one is getting really cracked up. A small piece of it actually fell off into my hand as i felt under my fender.

Thanks again!

Sachin
Old 06-05-2001, 10:45 AM

Default i thought rx comes with 35 off set. what suspension you running?...

rubbing you will hear it sometimes and see it on the tires

18 x 8 shouldnt rub
Old 06-05-2001, 10:59 AM

Default I have neuspeed sports/neuspeed bilsteins set on the lowest perch

Thus I am very low in front (about 1 finger gap)

I am definitely rubbing. I can hear it when a wheel goes over a bump and such. The wheel liner is seriously cracking and breaking apart (especially on the driver's side) and the fender lip itself it rough now.

I am just afraid that I will roll my fenders and it still won't be good enough.
Old 06-06-2001, 02:28 AM
Rai
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I knew mine was bad when my fender lip started being pulled down straight...

in australia you can get it done for about $60 per front fender using a hub mounted rolling machine. They should heat the fender to avoid chipping the paint. The plastic wheel liner should then not be cut but heated with a heat gun and using a damp rag folded and formed to fit into the newly upturned 'V' shaped lip - it should take about an hour or so to do a good job.

My front tires are about in line with the guards ...perhaps slightly tucked on 18x8's with a 35 offset running 225/40/18's - I get zero rubbing now.