A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

MORE INSIDER INFO - **This Forum**

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2000, 09:34 AM
Bob

Default MORE INSIDER INFO - **This Forum**

I would like to encourage all of you to discuss your issues and problems on this forum, and get other owners with similar issues involved, FREQUENTLY. I know for a fact that both Audi AG and AoA read this forum. This forum has been instrumental in making Audi aware that WE are aware of these problems and that we want a solution. If Audi wants to be known as a premiere brand, they must stand behind their products.

Regards and thanks for your help,
Bob
96 A4QM
86 4KCSQM<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/a4/208533.phtml">Common A4 Problems</a></li></ul>
Old 01-14-2000, 09:42 AM
Niall

Default How come my 96 A4 has had none of these?

the tie rod ends were changed at 70k miles because they had seized making tracking adjustment impossible not expensive and quite normal

control arm changed at 71k (car failed its mot for this)
both theese things are normal wear and tear
my 80 hadsimilar problems
Old 01-14-2000, 09:43 AM
Reggie

Default I am sorry that I really did not think your earlier postings would be effective to get action

Congratulations on helping get the main issues addressed.
Old 01-14-2000, 10:01 AM
Bob

Default We are not saying that all Audis have problems...

But A4's, that exhibit problems, fall into this list. As I have mentioned, I have the numbers and %'s of control arm failures and they are staggering. Many owners have repeat failures even at 30K miles. The bushing design has been changed numerous times with no long-term success. It _appears_ that "all links" on the 96 A4 will be upgraded to permenently fix this problem. Let's hope this is true. Also, Audi's previous solution of replacing entire control arms was expensive. Audi avoids (but does not refuse) selling bushings for the A4 control arms for liability reasons. This was not a good long term solution - changing control arm every 10-30K. I have had control arms and guide links replaced 3 times in 50K miles.

Also, Audi has recalled some late model tie rod ends. They have admitted that there are problems with this part. Audi _may_ extend this recall to cover even more in the future.

Also, I do not agree with you that changing control arm bushings at 70K is "normal" wear and tear. This has never been my experience nor my mechanics' experience. We can no longer be Audi Apologists. We must face up to these issues and get them fixed. With this forum and with everyones' help, I hope we will do so.

Regards,
Bob
96 A4QM
86 4KCSQM
Old 01-14-2000, 10:02 AM
Bob

Thanks Reggie, I appreciate your kind words. We must continue the momentum ;-)
Old 01-14-2000, 10:07 AM
Audiboy

Default Bob, thanks for all you insider posts. A bud of mine called to have his 96 A4Q scheduled on 1/28th

to have exacly what you described done. Negherbon Audi already acknowledges the recall and will replace everything as you described.

By any chance, do you think thye would void the recall on cars with modified suspension - I mean springs/struts or coil-overs?

BTW, we both like our cars ('96) because we have never experienced all these problem we see on the board. They had both experienced very little dealer time other than regular scheduled maintenance. Our control arms, bushings and everything are ok, but not bad getting new stuff for free. He has a cracked tie rod boot I founds when we changed his brakes, and a new part costs $10 - wow - I expected a new Tie rod too, but they just sold the boot alone - can't get that with my Mazda or Mitsu. But other than that, I think these '96's are bullet proof - we wish had a few more horsies though :-)
Old 01-14-2000, 10:12 AM
Bob

Thanks and I'm glad that all is working out well.
Old 01-14-2000, 10:14 AM
Patrick B.

Bob, I have to say that I have had my water pump replaced on my 1999 A4 @ 5,000 miles
Old 01-14-2000, 10:31 AM
pdw

Default OK, here's some problems (also, thanks Bob, your info is much appreciated)

- My driver's seat is loose for the 2nd time, parts are on order (I weigh 185lbs so I shouldn't be overstressing the seats).

- Both outside mirrors have had the elements replaced at least twice for not heating.

- Steering rack replaced due to leaking (I had to diagnose the problem and the dealer wouldn't take me seriously until I was proved right, now they listen to me. They should know some of their customers might know which end of a wrench to use.)

- Instrument cluster replaced due to chime failing.

- Gas guage giving strange readings. Sending unit on order.

None of the above are isolated incidents and the worst part is hearing from the dealer "Oh no, we've never seen that before". BullS&#t! The other thing I can't stand hearing is "It's within spec". Once again, BullS*$t!. I don't care what the spec is, if it's acting differently then when I drove it off the lot as a new car, it's broken.

Audi, being forthcoming with info and acknowledging problems goes a long way even if you don't have a fix just yet. Also, please assume some intelligence on the part of your customers.
Old 01-14-2000, 10:33 AM
pdw

Should have mentioned, my car is a '98.5 with 33K miles.

Quick Reply: MORE INSIDER INFO - **This Forum**