A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

New Car Checklist???

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Car Checklist???

My new car will be here within a week. Any tips on specific things to look for before taking her home? Thanks!!
Old 06-11-2001, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: New Car Checklist???

make sure they program the windows so you can open them with the key from the outside without actually putting the key in. i heard they don't do it unless you ask....
Old 06-11-2001, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'll mention one that bit me in the @ss.

I picked up my car at night. First mistake. It was too dark to see scratches clearly. The major ones that I didn't see were on the driver's side front wheel. Probably happened during loading or unloading from the carrier. I didn't notice until a week later, when I washed it for the first time. As you can tell, I'm still pissed about it.

My advice would be to suppress your enthusiasm for a few minutes. Look at the car as if it were a piece of fine furniture. You know you wouldn't accept delivery of an expensive piece if it had a scratch. Don't let anyone rush you. All of their explanations about how the car works might distract you from making a thorough inspection. Don't let it happen. Bring a flashlight if there's any chance you'll be in poor light.

Once the car checks out or you have something in writing which itemizes what needs to be fixed, you can drive away from the dealer with a smile on your face.

Congratulations in advance.
Old 06-11-2001, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Your dealer should give you a new wheel....

....the same thing happened when I bought my A4 four years ago. Didn't notice the scratches on the wheel until a week later when I was washing the car for the first time. My dealer gave me a new wheel, no questions asked.
Old 06-11-2001, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Delivery inspection is overrated (IMO)

Sure, look for the big things, but hopefully you will have a good relationship with your dealer and can bring the car back anytime for resolution. It seems like Audi is a little above the tactics where if you don't notice something you can't get it fixed later. I found that the dealer was more critical than I was when picking up my car.
Do spend the time going over the cars features, etc. with your dealer. You will probably learn something new.