A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

The new h&r Coilovers (attn: rich quinlan and SteveS)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-1999, 06:25 PM
Chris Gerard

Default The new h&r Coilovers (attn: rich quinlan and SteveS)

i heard that either one of you, or both knew something about this suspension. I'm coming from the normal H&R coilovers, which i felt were okay, but too softly sprung (for refrence i had mine set to -1.75 to -2 inches). I drove an integra w/ H&R race springs, and it was nice an TIGHT. I'm looking for a nice TIGHT ride with low body roll. I'm not worried about a harsh ride, cuz the other coilovers were WAY TO CUSHY, and bottomed a little to much for my likes (i dont' mean hitting drivway entrances and likes, but bottoming while driving). Do the new coilovers fit what i'm looking for? Where can i get a set. I've been going around the internet recently and noticed that there is a Ultra-Low Coilover being marketed by H&R, is this the shock that you have, or is what you have not available yet?

Chris Gerard
Old 09-30-1999, 07:45 PM
Steve S.

Default Mine are still in the box...but the spring rates and damper levels are increased

I believe that the best way to get them is thru H&R Special Springs directly. Or they could tell you someone that they shipped them to. Rich, Corey, and I got them directly from H&R. Mine are still in the box in my garage right now. If you call them...ask for Roland or Tina. Mine original set are really soft now...they have been exposed to too much "fun".

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
Old 09-30-1999, 07:47 PM
Steve S.

Default BTW...I wouldn't go any lower than 1.7" lower than stock non-sport height.

My wheel wells are 25 1/4" from the ground to the top of the wheel wells. I do not bottom out on regular driving...only when I go over a speed bump toooooo fast (BANG!!!)

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
Old 09-30-1999, 08:48 PM
Chris Gerard

Default why is this, for handeling purposes, or practical purposes(more)

i think i'm going to to where tire and fender are at teh same height (i think that would be around -2 to -2.25) for asthetics, but if that would make my car handel a whole lot worse than if it was at -1.75, i might consider only dropping that much. I understand that the car will bottom more, and i dont have a problem with that. any other considerations?
chris
Old 09-30-1999, 08:57 PM
Steve S.

Default It is generally understood by the H&R coilover owners that....

Going to low...or staying too high... does not maximize the handling. I think from 1.5 - 1.75" below stock is the best range for overall use and street and track.. ....Edmund Louie and Rich Quinlan both tried the coilovers real low...they both moved back up complaining about the feel when the car was too low.

If I remember correctly...each of them have websites that explain and show pictures of this "too low" look. Sorry, I forget the URLs.

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
Old 09-30-1999, 09:26 PM
Chris

thanks
Old 10-01-1999, 04:04 AM
Chris C

Default You bought new ones?

Or were they "warranty" replaced? I am still waiting on a replacement set of rear shocks.

Chris
Old 10-01-1999, 05:49 AM
Tom

***** Anyone have the weeb page address ?!?!? *******
Old 10-01-1999, 06:21 AM
randall

Default well... when I was slammed the car rode like a dream on the freeway (more)

i don't know what the height was. But both the front and back tires were about .5 to .75 inches IN the wheel wheel (ie you could not see the tops of the tires!)

At over 200KPH the car felt EXTREMELY stable. now i have it set to the same height as Cory and Steve (did--now they are S4 guys). This was better overall for driveability--no bottom scraping on speeed bumps.

The car did lean less as well, but i believe that may be because I was so low, i was using the bump stops.

Got some pics to post of me at Mosport. Get the scanner out this weekend.

1996 a4 2.8 qm
Old 10-01-1999, 06:34 AM
Sean G

Default Inside...

Here are their web sites:

<a href=http://move.to/sportcars>Edmund's A4 Page</a>

<a href=http://home.att.net/~richquinlan/>Rich's A4 Page</a>

Sean..
99.5 1.8Tqm<ul><li><a href="http://www.seansa4page.com">Sean's A4 Page</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: The new h&r Coilovers (attn: rich quinlan and SteveS)