A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Oh, Audi, how you have failed me....

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh, Audi, how you have failed me....

Just something for the board to chew on - you've heard it all before I am sure.....

98 A4 2.8Q 90,000 KM (54K miles). I am now replacing the master cylinder for the 4th time. The slave cylinder for the 2nd time.

Audi said that due to the age of the car and the mileage they would not extend any goodwill to me in this matter.

$1500 thanks very much.

Also as I am sure many of you Audi owners can relate to , the on board 'display' fades out when hot. I've read a hundred posts on this problem on this board. It seems that to Audi this is normal wear and tear. It's 'normal' for the display to fail. Even though I've made complaints about it for years they have decided to completely ignore this matter as well and and will offer no goodwill towards fixing it either. $ 1100 if I want to bother.

Can't speak for anyone but myself but Audi just lost a customer. I am truly disappointed in Audi and especially my dealer for not stepping up to the plate to help me in these matters. Jeez they wouldn't even offer me a loaner for one lousy day while the repair was being done.

Pissed off in T.O.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:06 PM
Former Vendor

Default Re: Oh, Audi, how you have failed me....

Have you contacted a lemon law attorney?
In some states, any problem that occurs 4 times may qualify, even after a warranty expires. This applies as long as the first offense occured while the car was under warranty.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:23 PM

Default Amen. Audi has a totally different definition of "high mileage" and "normal" than the...

rest of the world. Several times I've had the same component replaced several times within a matter of months. Any new replacement part on an Audi seems to only have a 50% chance of working. Then after you pay an authorized Audi dealer to install a brand new component and that component is faulty from the get-go, Audi can't understand why you get mad when they have to come back and pay to have it fixed again. I knew that German cars weren't as reliable as Japanese brands and planned on having to spend more on service, but Audi is truly rediculous. I think Audi is making a big mistake cutting quality control as much as they do. They're gaining all this market share and then treating their new customers like crap. In the long-run, they are only going to end up with pissed off ex-customers who swear never to even consider purchasing an Audi again. Then their market share will return to early 90's levels again. The quality control manager at Audi must be Homer Simpson.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sux man, sorry to hear. i've never had to replace anything

execpt the control arms, 1 relay and a couple bpv's. my 98 (the best year) is bullet proof!

I've replaced brake roters several times but thats only becase I dont want them to fail or warp on the track.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think Audi went on the same route MB took in the 90's

MB lost a lot of customers to Lexus back then. They underestimated a lot of competitions and thought they were untouchable. They proceeded charging a lot of money for a car that's subpar and could not compare with their Japanese counterparts. With all the cars MB is coming out, they certainly learned their lesson.

In a way I think Audi is on the same route. They are selling more A4's than ever, but never considered who put them where they are in the first place (loyal Audi owners, like us)

I really enjoy the way my Audi look and the way it handles. But If I heard half of the horror stories on AW before buying this car. I would stay as far away as possible from Audi.

excuse my rambling..
Old 07-02-2003, 03:14 PM

That sucks. My audi 2.8 was stolen at 108k and it was going strong. Timing belt was replaced though
Old 07-02-2003, 05:12 PM

At what point will things start to improve do you think?
Old 07-02-2003, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Where do you live (you list mileage in km)

Does Audi have lesser service in different places? I have 48000 miles on mine, and haven't had a thing go wrong (knock on wood) that was important, just minor things like a speaker that rattled (fixed on first attempt) and my center console arm rest rattled (replaced, free without me even having to ask for it).

My service guys even give me advice on mods, installed my APR chip (before I bought the car), and helped me fix my botched xenon install (not OEM parts but OEM brands) free of charge.

They didn't have to do that - and for what it's worth: Audi is doing everything right earning me as a customer. I know many happy owners, perhaps different areas have different service?
Old 07-06-2003, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

When they lose enough customers..