A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

OK going back over to MtnA4Quattro's to help him get his 30V started once and for all!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil light is from "low pressure." Don't worry about it unless it comes on when engine is running.

What's your fuel pressure?
Old 12-20-2008, 08:32 PM

Default Ok thats what we ill have to try tomorrow. Timing belt looks great. CPS no, would it throw a code?

I read in the last post I made a couple time to pull the fuse, foot to the floor, crank, then put fuse back in, foot to the floor crank it till it starts.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default CPS should throw a code, but I think the car would have to run first

I had a problem with the car getting flooded out
1.8t

I got the car to run by removing the fuel pump fuse and cranking it (no foot on the pedal)

got it running, but the code came up for the crank sensor

turns out the motor wasn't timed properly. So fixed that and then it still ran like ****

that was a valve issue + fvcked pistons + sh!tty machine work
Old 12-20-2008, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm wondering if hes got a weak spark, as in bad wires, have you guys tested the resistance of them?
Old 12-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: why do you have your foot on the pedal with the fuel pump fuse disconnected?

flood mode
Old 12-21-2008, 06:14 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Did you try NEW plugs? Get a booster on there, and let it rip...

When I changed my fuel pump, that was the most recent time I flooded my A6, it took a good 20 minutes of cranking/cooling to get it to start.

Don't crank for more than 45 seconds, and then in between let it cool for the same if not longer.

You may need to get the car relocated to a warm garage.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i gaurantee that you have very low or no compression from flooding...

before you listen to anyone else and continue you damage your engine...try this:

do a compression test on a few of the cylinders, 50 bucks says it will be really low (30-60 psi)

quit cranking it until you do that, because you're just going to damage it more...

after you do the compression test and find out that you did wash down the rings, you'll need to pour oil in the cylinders with low compression - 1 cap full of oil should do it, but you might need to add more. after you pour the oil in the cylinders, before trying to start it again, do another compression test- you should see it go up.

Once the compression goes up you'll want to throw some brand new spark plugs in and try to start it once or twice. it should sound a lot better, but you'll need to change the spark plugs once again because they will probably have a lot of oil on them.

After that, the car should run (but be smoky for a few mins because it's burning off the oil you just poured in the cylinders), so you'll probably want to change the plugs yet again.

after you get the car running, change the oil & filter!

i wouldn't listen to these guys who are telling you to crank for 45 seconds either... 10 seconds is pushing it IMO!!
Old 12-21-2008, 06:57 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default yeah, and then he'll ruin his cats by running oil through them.

The gas needs to evaporate, and it can't at -4f.

I agree that 45 seconds is a long time for the starter to run. Maybe if he can blow some air into the cylinders to help them dry out..
Old 12-21-2008, 07:04 AM

Default he may need to go old school to heat motor

get a shallow metal pan, put in charcoal for bbq, let the briquets (sp?) get nice and hot and push pan under motor(without belly pan on of course).
wait a while and that should let motor compartment heat up to a temp where things should work normally. OR tow to a heated garage
Old 12-21-2008, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default didn't think about that, since I don't have cats, but he still needs to get his compression back..

somehow.

maybe use as little oil as possible and substitute regular motor oil for 2 cycle oil...i doubt that would cause permanent damage to the cats, since it burns right off after a few seconds...

when this happened to me (twice) - even after letting the fuel evaporate completely, it still had no compression. the cylinders were completely dry (used an air hose to blow them out, even use a propane torch to burn off the fuel in there)

the only way i was able to get compression back was to pour oil in the cylinders.

Quick Reply: OK going back over to MtnA4Quattro's to help him get his 30V started once and for all!