A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

OT but need some computer help

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT but need some computer help

I have an older computer with Win95 on it. I would like to remove 95 and install 98. How do I do that? I've made a start up disk from the 95 system but when I try to "format" the hard drive it won't let me since it is being used by Windows. Can someone list the steps I need to take to clean the hard drive and install Win98 using the Win98 CD ? Be specific as I'm not very educated with computers. I'm giving the computer to my brother who's wife just lost her job and with it went their home computer as she worked as a marketer for a software company. Thanks all very much.
Old 12-20-2001, 05:58 PM

Default Make a start up disk from Windows 98, it will be much easier...

Basically, you need to put the startup disk in the floppy, then reboot the computer so you start up in DOS. From there you can format the hard drive. However, you will need drivers so that your CD can work, to install Windows 98. There are a lot of painful ways to make this work, but the best thing to do is make a startup disk from Windows 98 (it has the CD drivers). So after you are in DOS, format the hard drive, and install Windows 98 from the CD. Also, you will need all the drivers after you install Windows 98: network, modem, video, sound, ect. since Windows 98 may not have it.
Old 12-20-2001, 05:59 PM

Default try this:

Boot from win98 floppy disk (with cd-rom option)
format c: /s

then switch to the cdrom drive
and type setup
Old 12-20-2001, 06:14 PM

Default Need more details

such as what to type once in DOS to 1. format the drive 2. install 98 from the CD. I need specifics on exactly what to type at the command pronpts. Thanks again
Old 12-20-2001, 06:28 PM
Elder Member

Default He can't make a boot disc from 98 - he has 95 installed

He wants to do a clean install.

I may be wrong but I think all he needs to do is go to DOS - then do C://formatC

Next he needs to go to the D or E drive in DOS - I don't remember how to do that.
after that he can place the win 98 in the cd drive and do D or E (cd drive letter) and do ://setup.exe (you look on the 98 cd before you do all this to see what the command line is to start the disc.

Sorry I may not be helping much more than these other inputs.

Reggie

98.5 2.8QMS
Old 12-20-2001, 06:47 PM

1st things 1st ... Which version of 98 is it?
Old 12-20-2001, 10:18 PM

Default Re: OT but need some computer help

You want to reformat your hard drive because....? (You have a lot of stuff on there that you don't want to pass on...?) You can install W98 'on top' of W95, just by running setup from the W98 CD. This is not the most 'elegant' solution, but it can be easier if you are a novice. Before or after you upgrade Windows, you can remove your personal files from the computer.

If you do want to start from scratch, you can make a W98 Startup disk by using a program on the 98 CD. Do this, and verify that the disk works correctly before you goof up your working copy of W95. The 98 Startup disk has cdrom drivers that work with most cd's. That's why you want to check it first, to be sure it works the cd drive in DOS.

To make the 98 startup disk, read the file on the W98 CD located in the \tools\msutil\fat32ebd.txt (the file is the fat32ebd.txt). This file explains how to make the startup disk. [When you put the W98 CD into your W95 computer, the cd may start and offer to install W98. If you want to start from scratch, check "NO!!" and close out the cd.] Use Explore to find the above file and read it. Print it.

By the way, the Fdisk program on the W98 startup disk will allow FAT32, but if your computer is older, the BIOS might not support it, so don't opt for "large disk" support or FAT32 unless you are sure that your motherboard will support it. You can change to FAT32 after W98 is installed, if your computer will support.

When you boot from the startup disk, you will be in A:\

The command to format your C hard drive is: format c: /s
Then you have to use Fdisk to establish your partition(s) and make an active partion. When that is accomplished, reboot with the startup disk again, login to your cd drive and run setup for W98.

If you are using the W98 Upgrade CD you will need to insert your W95 CD at a prescribed point in the W98 setup routine to prove that your have the correct license.

Plan C: find a computer expert at work or in the neighborhood who you would like to buy lunch for after they do your upgrade......

Let me know if you need more help.
Old 12-20-2001, 11:54 PM
Chi

Default Re: Need more details

1. insert the boot disc
2. (you are now using the floppy, thus a:\) type format c:, follow the prompts.
3. once your hdd is newly formatted, restart again with win98 boot disc inserted.
choose w/ cd support.
4. insert win98 cd, type cd d: (this will change the directory of your drive to d: which is the cd drive)
5. type dir /p to show you the directory one page at a time. find the setup.exe file
6. type setup.exe <enter> and win98 setup will guide you rest of the way

Good Luck!
Old 12-21-2001, 01:54 AM

Default the answer....

it doesnt matter which os you use to creat a start up disk..its all the same...
dont get into dos from the windows start programs..
make sure that your boot sequence is the floppy first...once your into dos from a clean boot...format the hard drive...

if you have a 98 upgrade..you dont need to format the hard drive..but a clean install is recomended...

if you want the easeiest way...set the boot sequence to cdrom and insert the win98 cd..then perform option #1 and it will format and install for you...simple...
need more help..feel free to email me..