A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Picture Poster Thumbnails

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-1999, 05:20 AM
T2

Default Car & Driver...

I believe that Car & Driver did a comparison test between the 1.8T, 323, Jetta VR6 and a couple of other cars. Even though the stock 1.8T was one of the slowest of the group, overall it scored the best. Their's did have the sport package.<p>I think they're both good cars. The Jetta is a little less expensive and is faster and the VR6 is a great engine by everyone's account. The A4 looks better, handles better, is more luxurious, and is available with quattro.<p>Tom<br>1.8TQMS Silver/Ecru
Old 06-04-1999, 05:27 AM
Jon

go to VW Vortex for their take on the Jetta VR6
Old 06-04-1999, 05:40 AM
Chaos

Default Have C&D article on my desk...

What about the difference between 1.8TQMS and 1.8TQM? Would a non sport A4 have done as well in the test? Would 16" rims with high performance tires help a 1.8TQM?
Old 06-04-1999, 05:49 AM
T2

Default Re: Have C&D article on my desk...

The sport package definitely helps handling & cornering. Its ride is a bit rougher, but not rough by any means. My biggest gripe with the non-sport 1.8T is that I had no problem getting the tires to squeel in what I would consider moderate cornering.<p>If you value handling over smooth ride, get the sport package (its wheels look nicer and the steering wheel is great).<p>One other note... the sport package comes with Z-rated tires. If you do much driving in the snow you really would need to get snow tires or all-seasons.<p>Tom<br>
Old 06-04-1999, 05:56 AM
Chaos

Default Re: Have C&D article on my desk...

I was thinking of using the stock 15 wheels for winter driving and getting some nice 16 rims with z rated tires for the other seasons. A compromise for sure, but at least I would be in a new car before Christmas...<p>I would prefer the sport package suspension for sure, however I am not sure I want to wait an unknown length of time to wait for it or a 2000 VR6.
Old 06-04-1999, 06:39 AM
Jason B

Default Sport vs non-sport suspension

Test drive both setups. I found the stock suspension to be ridiculously soft for a sporty car; I had a hard time starting from a stand still without the car bucking. Sport suspension feels like what the car should come with. If you think you will be doing even mildy spirited driving then definitely get sport. The ride does not suffer at all, in fact I found it more comfortable than stock suspension for driving around town.<p>Caveat: I'm putting in an order for an A4 so all this is based on several test drives.<p>-Jason
Old 06-04-1999, 06:57 AM
knh

Default I have a 1.8T w/Sport and test drove one without sport yesterday...

...I'm extremely happy I got the sport suspension. They car I drove yesterday felt very floaty and the tires squeeled way too easily. IMHO, it's a must-have.<p>The Jetta will be faster stock, but you can always chip the Audi.
Old 06-04-1999, 07:28 AM
Oscar

Default We have ONE Jetta GLX at my dealer and....

I personally own a 97.5 1.8TQM and let me tell you that for the price the Jetta is a hell of a bargain. Screw Car and Driver mag!!! I love VW and Audi, but again the Jetta GLX is just plain awesome, beautiful, quick, fast and the handling is just incredible. Drive both and decide for yourself, do not rely on the Car and Driver article.<p>Oscar<br>97.5 A4 1.8TQM<br>90 Corrado G60<br>88 GTI 16V
Old 06-04-1999, 09:32 AM
al

Default I'm no VW expert, but...

a lot of cars suck at "spirited driving". An option I've considered (for me, not an option, no quattro) is getting the Jetta and upgrading the suspension. Spirited driving should be much better after that.<p>Of course, don't forget about bigger wheels/tires, upgraded brakes, engine mods...<p>"Dad, he's at it again!" ;-)<p>al
Old 06-04-1999, 11:54 PM
Wayne H.

Default Re: 1.8T Sport or no Sport vs. New VR6 Jetta Help!!!!

I just test droven a GTI VR6 (pretty similar to the Jetta, but about 100 lbs lighter) and it's fast! But I found the suspension to be soft, the clutch and shifting to be a bit light for my taste. <p>I own a 1.8TQMS and prefer driving it. It isn't as fast, but it definitely handles better than the GTI. I think the A4 platform is better than that of the Golf/Jetta/A3. I'd also opt for the sports package for the A4. I've driven both and there is a big difference. The sports package really helps to reduce body roll. Also, it's not a bad deal price wise.

Quick Reply: Picture Poster Thumbnails