A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Problems with silicone wax?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-1999, 05:31 PM
BDW

Default Problems with silicone wax?

<br>I bought Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat paste wax recently intending to use it on my A4. Then was told by another A4 org'er that Gold Class contains silicone (which Meguiar's doesn't bother mentioning on the label). Waxed my neglected van with it, did a great job.<p>My question is, have any of you encountered a problem after body/paint work after having used silicone wax? Does Meguiar's #26 have silicone in it? I'm leaning against using the Gold Class on my A4 but sure would welcome a few opinions.<p>Thanks ...<p>BDW '99 1.8Tqms
Old 04-09-1999, 04:39 AM
Rodney

Default Re: Problems with silicone wax?

Well, I haven't used Meguiars, but as I understand it the problem with silicone based wax is that the silicone attracts dust. It's just in there to make the wax easier to apply.<p>Regards,<br>Rodney<p>'99 A4 1.8tqms
Old 04-09-1999, 05:28 AM
ErikR

26 does have it too, just more carnuba than the other versions. I don't know about the repainting part, but I do know it forms a greasy film that is pretty hard to get off without using some nasty chemicals. (great for those dust covered wheels for the same reason)
Old 04-09-1999, 06:03 AM
Dave M

I'm not flaming here, but I don't understand the fear of silicone in wax. I know about the re-painting issues, but are you really choosing a wax based upon the fact that you might need to have your car repainted someday? I mean, then why drive the car at all since you might wreck it some day? From what I have read that there are different ways that silicone can be incorporated into products, some of the ways might be bad for a given instance and some might be good. It just depends on the chemical formulation.<p>Dave M - '97 1.8tm
Old 04-09-1999, 06:52 AM
ChrisWB

Default Had long discussion with auto body shop about this.

I remember reading the same post, because I use that wax also. I talked to a friend at a local auto body shop, and he told me not to worry. He said ALL waxes cause the same issues when repainting. Some are tougher than others to remove, but it's normal procedure to clean and scrub the areas needing repainting. "What kind of idiot would just paint over shiny bodywork without cleaning it and making sure that there's no wax or other residue left that would cause a problem?" were pretty close to his exact words.<p>Don't worry about the wax. If you're so worried about crashing your car, leave in in the garage. Otherwise, Gold Class all over. It's a great wax that protects well and lasts.<br>