A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Proud new owner of a 98.5 1.8TQMS!!! A few questions about Audi and about my car:

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2000, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proud new owner of a 98.5 1.8TQMS!!! A few questions about Audi and about my car:

Damn...This thing is exactly what I've been looking for. Laser Red with a charcoal interior, 1.8T, 5 speed, all the bells and whistles. For those of you in the Front Range area, Tom Buffy at Prestige imports was a good guy to work with.

Anyhow, I have a couple of questions about the car. They got it in on this past Wednesday, and hadn't even had a chance to run it through their more exhaustive tech inspection yet. It's under warranty until this April. Since it hadn't been through tech, there are a few problems that I noticed on the test drive, that will be covered, that he said had been marked for repair. The dealership was a 2 hour drive away, as opposed to the one 10 mins away here in Fort Collins, so I decided to go ahead and buy it, and have the warranty work done up here in town.

First, the turbo doesn't seem to be making/keeping its boost. The other two cars we drove were much quicker, and had that WOOSH when the boost came on that's missing in this car. I've read about the broken wastegate rod/actuator on these cars, so I'm assuming that's the problem. Is there any quick-fix I so I can get some of my juice back until it goes into the shop?

Also, I noticed this yesterday as I was driving by a row of cars with my windows down. If I accelerate a little bit, and let off the gas, as the car decelerates, after an instant there will be a slight squeaking noise that persists for a few seconds - seems to be coming from the right of the car. Don't know if it's a squeaking control arm, or something to do with the turbo not being right, or other things. I've read that a fair amount of folks have wheel bearings replaced, might that be a sign?

That said, since I'll be taking it into the shop before too long, how do you folks go about getting loaner cars? Assuming these aren't 10 minute fixes, I"ll need some way to get about. I've read that some dealers will provide you with a loaner, is that the rule or the exception? Do I just have to ask or will they provide one if they wish to etc?

Those things aside though, MAN is this car awesome! The sport suspension is exactly what I've been looking for in the cars I've driven, and all the little "I can't believe somebody thought of that" things that you get in a sport/luxo car like this have me grinning like an idiot from ear to ear. Imagine my surprise to see the blood-red instrument panel when I fired it up last night to go for a drive in the rain!

Quattro's amazing BTW..jeez. This car can take turns and not even *think* about skidding at like 10x what my old car could do.

Still on cloud nine...any suggestions or ideas about the above issues?
Old 10-29-2000, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

ur at Prestige Imports in miami??? thats where i get my car serviced- sergio is "interesting"
Old 10-29-2000, 07:51 PM

No - Prestige Imports in Lakewood, CO.