A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Questions for MTM chip and exhaust owners...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2001, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for MTM chip and exhaust owners...

I am shopping for a chip and exhaust system for my 1.8 and have found that MTM is probably the most expensive out there. Why is this? Are they superior to others (performance/workmanship/fit)?

Your opinions regarding the company and their product would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any Denver area owner that had their system installed around here please let me know who did it and your impressions.

Thanks a lot.
Old 03-07-2001, 12:18 PM

Default My thoughts.

If/when I chip I'm going MTM.

The expense? Well, I'm not sure it's worth it in the exhaust but...

1: When talking to Stratmosphere and Hoppen they were both very concerend about long term problems with the car. Sort of a 'we could do X, but that might cause problems' attitude. I'd prefer less agressive tuning if it will equal longer engine/turbo life. They answered all my questions and seemed to know what they were talking about. *I* did not get this feeling from other tuners. Many others would disagree with this. APR and GIAC for example have really good reputations on this board. Many have had their chips for a long time and had no problems. FWIW Stratmosphere was also honest about possible problems in their software and indicated fixes were comming soon.

2: MTM is supposed to be a bit closer to Audi. At the MTM Christmas party (in Germany) I was told about 50% of the people were Audi engineers. For whatever this is worth.

3: The MTM exhaust is supposed to flow very well yet have a nice quiet sound. It's also all polished stainless. Think about Stratmosphere's Forge exhaust as a lower cost alternative.

I'm not saying one tuner is better than any other. APR and GIAC get good reviews and I doubt you'll have any problems with them. Just after some effort I decided on MTM. I didn't really consider price much I suppose.

My advice remains to call all the tuners you are considering and talk to them. Ask questions. Get a feel for them. Choose the one you like best.

Any help?
Old 03-07-2001, 12:21 PM

Default Champagne Motors is here in Denver and a MTM dealer.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.aquattro.com">Champagne Motors</a></li></ul>
Old 03-07-2001, 01:23 PM

Default MTM makes very nice stuff...

I have a stage 1 chip and muffler from MTM. The muffler is beautifully made all
stainless. They are one of the few who do net upgrades, ie if you change the chip to a higher version - you get full credit for your earlier one. Also , they provide a chip change for full exhuast - many do not. It is a german company run by an ex audi engine designer and is kind of an audi factory back door place like AMG for mercedes. I have had excellent results with their products.
Old 03-07-2001, 11:49 PM

Yes, thank you.