A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Repair Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2000, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair Nightmare

So, after two and a half months, I finally get my 1998 A4 1.8TM back from the dealership. The car spent the first six weeks or so just waiting for the dealer to get to it and some time after that, it waited for some parts to come in. Because the dealership is 250 miles away from my home, I had to have the car delivered to me (these delivery people don't work for the Audi dealer, by the way). The people who delivered the car called me on Saturday morning to tell me they were on their way. I don't hear from them again. I finally get hold of the delivery people and they tell me they left the car in the parking garage at the local hospital (why? I don't know). They'll send me the key in the mail, they say. They have no answer as to why they didn't just bring the car to my house (where I was all day long) and give me the key or at least call and tell me where the car is.

So I get to the hospital and find the car, only it won't start. In all that sitting around, the battery has apparently lost its will to live. After getting a jump, I notice immediately that they didn't bother to fix the brake problem that I told them about. (There is a problem with the ABS). So now I had to buy a new battery as well as find a place to take my car to get the brakes fixed.

Also, the one-touch windows don't work anymore. (The windows roll down, but I have to hold the button the whole time). I can't even begin to imagine how they managed to break that, but I guess I will just have to live with it since I don't feel like going to the trouble of taking the car back to Oklahoma City to have them fix it.

I just can't see how they could fix a car and not notice that it won't start and that the brakes are making a very funny noise (especially since the brakes were one of the things I described as being wrong with the car).

I'm sure they are very nice people out there,a nd I am sure that they are normally very competent people, but it's frustrating to have your car be in for service for that long and still not be repaired completely (and to have new problems emerge like the battery and the windows). And its especially frustrating for the delivery people (who are, again, not from the dealership) hide my car from me and not tell me where it is until I track them down two days later.
Old 09-25-2000, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Repair Nightmare

Good grief...where do you live and what is the name of the dealership????
Old 09-25-2000, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Repair Nightmare

I live in Amarillo, Texas (which is part of the problem since there is no dealership here and no one who can repair Audis. When I bought the car, I lived in Dallas), but the dealership is in Oklahoma City (Bob Moore Audi).
Old 09-25-2000, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I can't believe they didn't drop car at your house????

That is very strange!
Old 09-25-2000, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I guess your lucky they dropped it in the same town as you!
Old 09-25-2000, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Windows

After the battery has been disconnected, the windows must be reprogrammed. Refer to the owners manual, but on my 97, if you roll the windows down and hold the button down for a few seconds and then roll the window up and hold the button up for a few seconds, it has worked for me..

Jason
Old 09-25-2000, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Windows

I remembered that coming up on the A4 forum before after I posted that. I was about to go back and do a search to find out what everybody else did when it came up before. I'll go figure it out. It has just been so long since I remember reading about the on-touch windows reset that I had forgetten the previous discussions.
Old 09-25-2000, 03:57 PM

Default actually all you have to do is go all up, then up again.

<p>
1997 A4 1.8TQS Silver/Black
Old 09-25-2000, 04:04 PM

Default I had accidently fixed them and didn't know it....

Until I went back out there and tried again. Well, that was really the least of my problems anyway, but I'm glad that it is easy to get that going again. (And it was right there in the manual. I even already had the manual out to get the instructions for entering in the code for the radio)

Thanks everybody for refreshing my memory on the windows thing.