A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Replace tie rod ends, upper control arm, axle flange seals = $2400??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace tie rod ends, upper control arm, axle flange seals = $2400??

Took my car in to get a CEL and oil leak checked out. Turns out the cam adjuster seals were leaking oil on the spark plugs causing misfires.

Additionally, the front tie rod ends are loose, upper control arm is broken, and the axle flange seals are leaking.

The quote for parts + labor to fix everything was $2400. Is it really necessary to fix the TRE, upper control arms, and axle flange seals? I haven't noticed any issues with the steering or suspension while driving. Am I getting taken for a ride?
Old 04-01-2008, 04:50 PM

Default Quote, "Am I getting taken for a ride?".... heh... funny

yes
Old 04-01-2008, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

did you go to Audi dealership?
Old 04-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default No. Took it to Jose at Euro-Tech

He's so highly regarded on these boards and others, it's hard for me to believe that he's trying to screw me.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Make him point everything out and see why it costs that much. Get another qoute. Wayyyyyyy

to much though.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default a comment....

Not knowing if your car is a 1.8 or 2.8, I tried to crunch a few numbers and he's not off by much if at all. Depending, more details would help. Its quite easy on these cars to rack a bill like that when labor rates are around $100 per hr and inflation is hitting parts prices with a low US$.
I try and attack the cars in chunks to reduce overall costs. This requires a long term perspective. I know, John Maynard Keynes said where all dead in the log run. If your going to do the front end parts, like the upper control arms and or the tie rod ends, why not attack it all in one fell swoop. Buy a Febi control arm kit, shocks , and mount bushings so you only need to align it once. Otherwise, these cars have a tendency to nickle and dime you. Of course this all depends on how you evaluate the car for useage(long or short term, mileage per year, etc.).
Old 04-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default '00 2.8 FWD Tip, 82k miles

This also include a smog check and the replacement of the valve cover gaskets, cam adjuster seals, and possibly new spark plugs.

I'll call first thing in the morning and get more details. Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with the suspension or steering systems, so I'm not sure what I'll get out of it.

Like I said, this mechanic is VERY highly regarded on this board and others, so I REALLY want to believe he's not screwing me...
Old 04-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Joey T

Default Not that high.

Labor for tensioner seals is 13 hours. What is the labor rate?
Old 04-01-2008, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default a response....

A smog check(NJ state inspection, assuming here), valve cover gaskets, cam adjuster gaskets( seals & sealant) and plugs would be 1/2 that quote at a dealer and you've yet to address the nasty parts of the job. So no, I don't think he's taking you, especially if he's re-aligning the car. An alignment on a Hunter Machine is usually about $200. Having done the jobs you've mentioned , I know about what it takes. Axle flange seals are an s.o.b if the CV's are rusted into the flanges and these cars are no longer cherries. You might sit down with him and have a chat on what your long term goals on the car are. This way you might find the repairs are spread out in a more economical and efficient manner. These cars are getting into mileages where they need serious repair. What I mean by that is repair bills that would constitute 2-3k, relatively(suspension rebuild, clutch, waterpump/timing belt, etc.). Hope this does not sound hostile. Best regards.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: a response....

I'd like to get 200k out of the car. However, I'm not certain it will be beneficial or cost effective to keep putting money into it. Sure, a few hundred bucks a year is cheaper than a car payment on a new car, but when you start hitting repair bills that are in the thousands, it's just not economically smart to keep it, especially when it's only worth a few grand.

The abs controller was replaced under warranty and I had the timing belt/water pump/thermostat/etc done 12,000 miles ago. This suspension issue just caught me by surprise. I probably could have done the cam adjuster gasket/seals myself, as I did the VCGs without issue, but I haven't had the time lately.

Quick Reply: Replace tie rod ends, upper control arm, axle flange seals = $2400??