A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

In response to the ealier question regarding stg3

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2001, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In response to the ealier question regarding stg3

This post is in regard to KenHuglr's comment on how chipped k03 cars are whipping the butt of stg3 cars on the track. I have no clue where this guys gets his idea. If you take the driver out of the equation, a Stage3 will absolutely demolish a chipped k03 car on a road course. Lag is a factor in AutoX but even then I had many victories in my stg3 over a stg1 or stg2 in the AutoX. I don't know where you get the idea that the stg3 is getting it's butt kicked like a red headed stepchild. Yes there are times where I get beat by a stg1 car but it has nothing to do with the car but the other driver was doing great.

I did have some problems with my car and now after working out some issues it is running right again. Even when I did have problems with my car, ie- a leaking Bailey valve I was still able to beat all chipped k03 cars on a road course and even all the S4s(chipped/susp/race tires). If you were comparing my AutoX results with a k03 car then let me clarify that HP has very little effect when it comes to AutoX. That's why a stock Miata with 115hp will whoop the butt of a 350hp S4. It's all about handling and the driver.

No one other than me has really ran a dbw stg3 car at the track yet and when I was running it the car was not healthy. But I can assure you it is WAY stronger than a chipped K03 car even when it wasn't running 100%. When you run that much boost on a 150hp 1.8t many other components are not up to teh task. I just found out that the coils on my car are actually not strong enough and causing misfires while they're perfectly fine for a k03 or chipped k03. I had to replace a slightly weak coil(but perfectly adequate for a chipped k03) and decrease the spark plug gap to eliminate all traces of misfire. Keep in mind I push my car every weekend for AutoX and some road races and component failure such as the coil could be attributed to it.

IMO the dbw stage3 is pretty strong considering how early in the developement stage it is. There are some hurdles that still needs to be addressed that were not present on nondbw cars.

I am guilty of doubting APR whenever my car wasn't running right while the problem actually had nothing to do with their kit. I'm not saying the kit is running 100% and there's certainly some room for improvement in the tuning but these guys had done a great job and was very patient and helpful when I do run into problems.

In terms of K04 vs Stg3, I think both kits are great for their respective dollar values. Let's face it, the GT25 is a more advanced and more efficient turbo and if you push both of them to the limit the GT25 will clearly be the winner. But the problem here is on dbw cars because of the limitation of the boost sender APR is not able to use the full potential of the GT25 YET. So in all fairness we shouldn't jump on them because of this particular setup and judge them on that. I've driven a nondbw stg3+ car and let me tell you it is way faster than a chipped S4. Let's just put the dbw stg3 asside for a while and wait til they(APR) install the kit on MarkP's car and tune it. WYSIWYG will get his K04 next week and we'll know for sure which is faster.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/620296.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/620296.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 06-22-2001, 10:08 AM

OT from your post BUT how do you like the SSR Comps? I'm planning on them soon.
Old 06-22-2001, 10:25 AM

Default Re: OT from your post BUT how do you like the SSR Comps? I'm planning on them soon.

Very light. That's all I can say about them. I honestly can not feel the difference when driving. How they look is personal preference. I personally think my Racinghart ST6 looks much better.
Old 06-22-2001, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default a point I would like to make

in my one autoX....I raced through the @60 second course in second gear 4000-6500RPMs all but the first 5 or 6 seconds. This being the case...I would think a turbo like the GT25 which supplies boost all the way to the redline would be a better car for autoX than a chipped K03 given the same driver.
Old 06-22-2001, 12:56 PM

Default Re: a point I would like to make

It depends on the course.

Out of all the courses around here most of them have many hairpins and slow 90 degree turns. rpm will drop down to 2000 - 3000 rpm and coming out of these are not a stong point of the GT25. In the rare case where all the turns are high speed sweepers then the stage3 will kick ***.
Old 06-22-2001, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default like I said...

I've only done one...one shift involved and only one slow turn. Either way...I'm sure a stage 3 will be better..assuming the same driver of course
Old 06-22-2001, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i dont agree on the st3-pro-sweeper thingy - both cars will max out the holding ability of the tires

and cruise thru it at the same speed. as we've seen, tires(proportional to car's weight) and over all handling is the key (given the same driver)
Old 06-22-2001, 01:33 PM

Default The point i was trying to make is

If most of the turns are high speed sweepers(yes there are no advantage for having more power when cornering at max capability) you go through and exit the turn faster and your rpm when exiting the turn will be high. Therefor the Stage3 will be in the powerband to accelerate out of the turn more rapidly than if you were coming out of a slow 90 degree turn and bog the car completely.

Most AutoX courses have evenly distributed numbers of tight and high speed turns so to balance things out. IMO depends on the course the stg3 does not always have an advantage over a chipped k03. Yes it'll accelerate out of sweeper faster but it'll also accerlerate out of slow turns slower.
Old 06-22-2001, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i agree, if there's 'enough' room after the sweeper.