A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Saw a disturbing sight last night... and a warning to those changing flats!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2001, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Saw a disturbing sight last night... and a warning to those changing flats!!!

Last night driving on the tri-state (I-294) southbound near Hinsdale IL, around 7:30pm... traffic suddenly slowed down to a near hault. I'm late for band practice and I'm sitting there saying to myself... "Awwww what the F*CK is going on?!?!? Who's the IDIOT holding up traffic now?!?!?!?!"

So a few minutes later I pass the accident scene... it's a Range Rover parked on the shoulder with one tire off. Police cars and fire trucks all around... flares on the road around the truck. The truck doesn't look damaged and there are no other cars on the shoulder with it. Strange... I thought maybe it caught on fire or something. Oh well... no biggie. I went on about my business and didn't think twice about it..... that is... until this morning....

On my way to work I'm listening to the news on the radio. And then I learned what REALLY happened. Turns out, the guy was changing his flat tire when some A$$HOLE hit him and killed him. Then took off. Hit and run, and the suspect is still at large.

Man I hope someone saw it and they catch the bastard. The news report said that a description of the vehicle would be released later today.

Kinda puts things in perspective. I feel bad for the thoughts I had last night about the whole thing... it kind of makes me feel selfish for thinking "what idiot is holding up traffic"... of course not knowing that the "idiot" I was referring to was dead.

Well... a warning to those changing flats... make sure you have LOTS of space and don't get your *** too close to the road. Some ******* could hit you.
Old 02-09-2001, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, that sucks. I'm always scared of changing flats on the highway. Dangerous place.
Old 02-09-2001, 07:01 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default That sucks. Remember to use your triangle, and keep as many lights on/flashing as you can!

A bright jacket is a good idea too!

A State Trooper friend of mine was nearly killed when his CRUISER was hit during a traffic stop. Seems the driver of the offending car had fallen asleep, and drifted into the back of the cruiser as it sat on the side of the road, blue lights flashing all along. Pushed the Caprice into the front car, but not before it hit my friend, hurling him into the median of the interstate.
Old 02-09-2001, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That might explain why they always angle their cars outward...

when I see a smokey pulling someone over, their car is always angled in a way that if it were to start moving, it would move out into traffic and not into the wall.

hmmmmmmm
Old 02-09-2001, 07:35 AM
Head Cat Herder

Default Exactly right. Also, having just the nose of the car in traffic, if it does get hit, it..

is actually less likely of rolling forward, rather it will deflect the car that hit it away from the trooper. It creates a safety zone for the trooper.
Old 02-09-2001, 08:33 AM
Elder Member

Default huh? I don't get it. You're talking about stopping on the right shoulder?

If your car starts moving, wouldn't you rather it bump into the wall and stop, than have it roll into traffic and potentially cause another accident?

You could easily enough angle the car towards the shoulder and still protect yourself.
Old 02-09-2001, 08:59 AM
Head Cat Herder

Default No, the idea is 1st to protect the trooper, 2nd to protect the civilians in the stopped car...

if the car is angled towards the road, you would have it hit it square in the rear bumper to move it (unlikely at the angle). Plus, the rear bumper is now at an angle itself, so there is even less chance of pushing the cruiser.) Hitting it anywhere else (fender, doors, front clip) causes it to absorb more impact because the tires are resisting movement more. It also tends to deflect cars back out into traffic instead to the trees.

We used to park streight on, just offset a little. needless to say, this new way is much more effective.
Old 02-09-2001, 10:04 AM
Elder Member

Default Oh, I see. I thought maybe angling towards the shoulder was safer.

But if the trooper angles towards the road, he'd need to walk all the way around his cruiser to get to the car in front. So he'd either have to walk into traffic, or back and behind his cruiser.

If he angled towards the shoulder, he'd just step out and be ready.

First option is better for pullovers, second option better for distressed motorists?
Old 02-09-2001, 10:11 AM
Head Cat Herder

Default Actually, getting out is safer with the angle too, you don't swing the door blindly out into traffic

but you are right, you do end up walking around the nose of the car (or behind it)

I think it is preferred to use this method for all "stops".
Old 02-09-2001, 10:18 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

I knew someone that happened to once - NEVER change a flat on the shoulder of a highway

Quick Reply: Saw a disturbing sight last night... and a warning to those changing flats!!!