A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Saw the new A4 last night in person...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2001, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saw the new A4 last night in person...

I was at a dealer here in Denver getting my car serviced, and I was talking to one of the service reps about the new A4. He told me there were a few on the lot (top secret though) that we could go check out, so I did of course.

After seeing the new A4 pictures initially I didn't like it, but eventually it grew on me. Now after seeing the new A4 IN PERSON, I am VERY dissapointed. The A6 looks so much better than the new A4 now! Not to put it down so much, as the overall quality of the A4 still remains, but the looks--it resembles the new Passat even more in person than in the pictures.

Sad to say but I won't be buying another A4 again. But I love Audi's enough to stay in the family at least. Maybe a real A6, or if all's going for me, an A8 (preferably S8)--Hey I'm 23, but I'm keeping an open mind!

Anyway, you're probably wondering about the interior. It was very nice. I still miss the all-red lighting but change is inevitable. But overall the new A4 is ok. The current body style WILL hold its appeal. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it holds its value when the new A4s are released.

Not a car-and-driver review but a review at least. If you have a new A4 on order you might be dissapointed, but maybe not. The appeal is more specific though, now.

Peace
Old 03-23-2001, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Saw the new A4 last night in person...

eriqc,

Sorry to hear that you didn't like the looks of the new A4. Could you be a bit more specific? Was there anything in particular? Shape of the body? Front? Back? Side?

Thaks and regards,

Dan.
Old 03-23-2001, 11:51 AM

More specific, the shape of the body was the main issue. The back of it kinda grew on me but after seeing it up close I take it back. The side was ok though it resembled a 2001 Passat more than the current A4 and the only issue I have with the front is that I miss the more aero-dynamic looking grill (it's very sqaure on the new model).

Sure, maybe I shouldn't be so picky about looks, but I like the current body style WAY better. It should appeal to many, but fewer than now.
Old 03-23-2001, 12:03 PM

what dealership?
Old 03-23-2001, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

eriqc,

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the photo's, my original reaction was different from yours - I liked the looks from the start. I hope that doesn't change when I see it in person.

I almost bought a new A4 in 1998. Problem was that it was just bit too small for me. I wanted a bit more car. A4 too small; A6 too big. From the specs, it looks like the new A4 is more like the middle-sized bear - just right. :-)

Also, according the articles I read, besides being bigger, the handling has been improved and it's a tiny bit faster. One oddity - according to the specs, the trunk in the new A4 is BIGGER than the A6!?! 15.7 cu ft! Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying one out.

BTW, did the fellow at the Audi dealer say when the new A4 would be available in the US?

Thanks and regards,

Dan.
Old 03-23-2001, 01:04 PM

Default Appearance was the only issue. Everything is is improved size, quality & performance wise...

Of course I'm making myself look silly basing my decision on looks, but I like cars with quality, performance and looks. I'd like a Porsche but I can't afford that, just yet.

I didn't ask when it'll be coming to Colorado (duh) though. I've read fall 2001 if not a little later.
Old 03-23-2001, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have many of the same feelings as you!
I was intent on waiting one more year with my 97 A4 and get a new '02 but when I looked at the 2001.5 I knew I would rather have the last of this generation!
I do like the interior of the new one more as it is evolutionary, but, I ordered my new car for April production and hopefully June delivery.
Hoping that this run will have had all the bugs ironed out!
Just can't wait now!
Old 03-23-2001, 02:00 PM
Elder Member

Default Dan - I like you did not hate the new design

I care more about the performance - if the looks are fine then that's an added bonus.

I'm hoping to buy the next S4 after the first year bugs are worked out.

Reggie

98.5 2.8QMS
Old 03-23-2001, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Appearance was the only issue. Everything is is improved size, quality & performance wise...

eriqc,

Nothing silly about basing a decision (at least partly) on looks. We have to drive these little guys every day. There's a lot of cars that I like, but I can't get past the looks. I like the 5-series BMW's. Nice cars, but pretty boring looking (IMO).

:-)

Regards,

Dan.
Old 03-23-2001, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just curious, what colors?

Sometimes the color can either bring out the lines of a car, or hide them. Do you remember what colors you saw?

Quick Reply: Saw the new A4 last night in person...