A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Stage III vs. PES T-28 : Thoughts and questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage III vs. PES T-28 : Thoughts and questions...

I've been following the recent discussions around these two big turbo kits. After reading all the posts I am no closer in making a decision then I was a few months ago. From what I can gather,the kits will yield very similar performance, in terms of overall HP and Tq given the way there are tuned at present. (Sort of sounds like the old which chip is better threads). That being said what I'd like to know is which kit has more potential for increased HP with further tuning? I might wait and see what the ATP kit has to offer, but I'm tired of waiting for this one to come out...unless it can develop well over 350hp + that is :^)
Old 03-31-2002, 06:35 AM

Nice thoughts. Daily drivability is a must for me as my A4 is my only car.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default So going any bigger then T-28 or T-25 and drivability becomes an issue?

I wonder how much more lag exists with the T3/T4 setup in comparison to these kits. My guess would be that at some point the lag starts growing exponentially in comparison to the HP gain. I guess the question is what kit has the best trade off.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it depends on the A/R ratio...

but it seems like the turbo doesn't come to full oos util after 4000 RPM some where. It's tough to really know until you drive one or in one...I'm hoping there are people at the aftermarket show this summer and at waterfest who will give me a ride.

The other thing I have been told is that even though the GT25/T-28 don't make as much boost down low, since the air is cooler...the power is still as good as chipped down low. I think having a nigher flow exhaust manifolds working liek a header helps with the low end a little bit too. Again...the only way to tell is to ride.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:12 AM

Default My opinion on the matter......

The PES t28 is more of a kit for the person that wants to feel boost hit them in the back of the head; whereas, the APR kit is very smooth but still fast. The APR kit IMO fits the quality of an Audi better than the t28....the t28 seems like it would fit on a Honda or something. The APR kit will be upgradeable to the APR stage 3+ when it is released. The GT25 used in the APR kit is just as or slightly bigger than the T28.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:41 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's similar Ray, but.....

"My OPINION is that the APR kit is a better deal. You get a ball bearing turbo that spools up faster and you get a better quality manifold while the difference in price is that cone filter that PES includes. I'm just not a big fan of those things and I feel like PES includes it in the kit just to increase their profit. It's been said many times here that cones don't yield more than a few hp under ideal conditions and usually they just suck in hot air off the turbo. Add that the stock air box is pretty good. I suppose the sound then make is cool though."

Contrary to what it seems, the heat sheild on PES' kit actually works. After even hard driving and the turbo worked, the area around the cold air intake was substancially cooler than in the engine bay. It does work.

"On the other side, maybe APR using the inconel manifoldis overkill and just adds $$$ to the price when it's not really needed."
As for for the overkill with APRs inconel manifold etc. there is nothing wrong with over-engineering.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:43 AM
Elder Member

Default your ears broken? they said 3+ WILL be re-released...

it was stopped because each FMIC was made by hand and was a complete PITA. Now that the CNC is running they're going to build FMICs on it which will allow them to sell the 3+ kit again.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:44 AM
CMH

I plan on taking my car out to waterfest if I get a trailer or find a way to send it out there.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:45 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we'll see =)
Old 03-31-2002, 07:46 AM

Default Pulling the turbo only doesn't require pulling the exhaust manifold with the new style cat. Even if

it did (as with my original Cat design) I hardly think an extra 1/2 hour to pull an exhaust manifold and another 1/2 hour to re-install looms all that large an impedimate.

Quick Reply: Stage III vs. PES T-28 : Thoughts and questions...