A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Subaru/WRX dealers are a joke (long, rant)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru/WRX dealers are a joke (long, rant)

So I call up the local subie dealer intending to take a test drive in one of these new monsters. The experience has taught me 10 times over why I will almost certainly never own another car from across the Pacific..... Audi dealers are car salesman, but at least they understand that they are selling a high quality product to a person who knows the difference.

So, I call up and they just got the cars in yesterday. Great I'm thinking. I talk to a sales droid and he says they may have to special order a 5 speed, but I should come up and drive one of their autos just the same. Well whatever, I can do that.

I get there, and ask for Don, the guy I'd been on the phone with. He's gone for the day (It's like 2:30pm, I'd talked to him at like 1:30). well whatever. I ask to see the WRX. I get pointed off to a back corner of the lot and they go back to talking. Ok, whatever again. I go check it out.

It's locked of course.

I walk back to the front of the lot and ask them to open it up (after checking out the exterior. It looks much better in pictures. Those fog lights look like "frog" lights instead. Eww. Tires are all season Blowtenzas. Eww.). After a solid 5-8 minutes standing in their show room staring right at the group of 3 salesman sitting there chatting I finally get one to talk to me. They say it's not PDIed (pre delivery inspection I assume) yet and can't be driven. I say I'd like to check out the interior to see if it's something I'm even interested in.

These guys point me to a 2.5RS saying it's exactly the same on the inside. I go check it out. It's locked too. I finally get them to *gasp* open their 19K econobox so that I can look at it. Hmm. Looks like a 12K econobox. Feels like one too. The cloth seats aren't bad, everything else is pathetic. My parents' '94 Geo Metro has better materials.

After a thorough inspection I walk off the lot disgusted. Do these guys really think they can sell cars to people who are also shopping for Audi A4s and BMW 325xis as the Subaru web site claims? There's not a chance.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that they commited the cardinal sin. "What would it take to get you to buy one of these today?" How about doing your job.
Old 03-28-2001, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default all car dealers suck. if they were better at their jobs, they would have better jobs.

I realize there are exceptions, and I like my dealer lots, would buy from him again easy. But the average car salesman is an idiot.

I can accept the fact that I have never met a car salesman that knows more than me, I am an anomoly, but there are some dealers that completely clueless. When the subaru legacy GTs came out, I had one dealer flat out tell me there were no GT wagons and wouldn't be. I bought the one off his lot on a trade via another dealer, then drove it over to show him, much respect to this day from that idiot.

but for some reason the person at the freaking mall clothing store is 1000% times more helpful and informed, and I am only spending $80. but when it comes to $25,000+, I get some idiot? I don't get it....
Old 03-28-2001, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's the other thing you have to remember when buying a car.

I had a subabru before my a4 and they do not give service rentals unless they find out its going to be overnight and then you can go and get another car.
Old 03-28-2001, 02:46 PM

What dealer did you get your Avant at? Schaumburg?
Old 03-28-2001, 02:53 PM

Default HA! The Subaru dealer near me wouldn't even let me test drive the RS....more

He said that there's enough people that would buy it that they don't use a demo for test drives. They only let you test drive if you're gonna buy it.
Old 03-28-2001, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

schaumburg sales manager was a complete b¡tch! I went with bob @ the exchange
Old 03-28-2001, 02:57 PM

Default Audi and Subaru are sold together at three dealers in Western MI

The smallest dealer is the best. Most car salesmen deal w/people that buy cars the way they would buy a stove or TV. Most people don't know much about cars and just having the means to buy an Audi or BMW doesn't make you smarter.
Old 03-28-2001, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

if I were buying it, why would I want to test drive it?
Old 03-28-2001, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree, smaller dealers have better sales force usually
Old 03-28-2001, 03:04 PM

Skabaru / BRY 127, If Subaru puts the 212hp six in the GT w/5sp, would you trade you A4 ?

Quick Reply: Subaru/WRX dealers are a joke (long, rant)