A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

For those who absolutely want to run a BOV

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2001, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those who absolutely want to run a BOV

Although I am brand new to the Audi A4, I do know a few things regarding forced induction using MAFs.

It would be possible to run the BOV for the ultra cool sound easily. You simply relocate the MAF to the pressure side of the turbo. You'd have to keep the MAF downstream of the BOV, but that would make it possible.

Is this even feasible given the configuration of the A4? I have no idea, as I've scarcely had enough time to even drive mine (long story about an accident 3 days after purchase)...but I digress. I do know that this configuration works on my 600 hp '96 Camaro (supercharged), which still uses the stock MAF.

Shoot away folks :-)

Andy
Old 09-24-2001, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

if you do figure this out, would you mind posting a how-to? thanks
Old 09-25-2001, 01:01 AM

Default I'll give it a look to see how involved it looks

I've already done it on my Camaro (although it's supercharged and not actually designed to be fed boost ;-) and it wasn't that difficult. Time consuming, yes.

Let's make some assumptions shall we?

1. The MAF must be near the air box (on the inlet, not pressure side).
2. The MAF can be moved to a convenient location on the pressure side.
3. The MAF can still meter air properly on the pressure (heated side).
4. The BOV can be located somewhere ahead of the IC.

If all these are true, I really cannot see any reason that use of the BOV wouldn't work.

I've been doing some reading on the pros and cons of BOV versus BPV and have come to the following conclusions:

1. Recirculating pressurized air to help the turbo spool is good.
2. Recirculating hot (even though it's intercooled, it's still hot) pressurized air is bad for making power.
3. Venting hot air to the atmosphere does make power.

So long as the MAF is kept downstream of the BOV, I can't see how any ill effects to motor life will result. Anyone else?
Old 09-25-2001, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default so basically...

the MAF needs to move to a place after the air goes through the BOV in order to keep it running properly, correct? I know the MAF is located near the airbox, however, some people here have been known to break it while fiddling with the airbox (ie. taking it out) and it's quite expensive, so if it needs to be relocated, it needs to be in a safe place. I'm not too sure how all of this works, but if anyone fugures it out, lemme know.
Old 09-25-2001, 08:13 PM

Default Re: so basically...

You've got it right. Move the MAF downstream of the BOV (and most likely before the IC) and it should be golden.

How expensive could the MAF be? $300 or more? <Sigh> I need to get this car chipped...
Old 09-26-2001, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default something like that...that's just extra money that i wouldn't wanna waste

if there's a safe place for the MAF, then it's all good, otherwise I'd rather get a BPV and an intake for the "BOV sound"
Old 09-27-2001, 02:30 AM

Default Re: something like that...that's just extra money that i wouldn't wanna waste

Could you elaborate on the intake and BPV for the BOV sound? I guess I haven't done enough searching through the archives. I would be very interested in this solution if it wasn't too pricey. Could you point me to some url's? I'm still searching the archives on chip choices, so I won't bore you with the typical "Which chip is best" post. I've seen that one way too much on the F-body mailing list I'm also on, heheh.

Thanks for any insight, and I'll keep on my end of the research.

Andy
Old 09-27-2001, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default most people who have both an intake and an upgraded BPV said that

it makes a wsssshhhhhh sound like a BOV would. I doubt it's as loud as a BOV would be, but I'm assumming it's auidible. Most people with an intake said that they can hear their stock BPV as opposed to not at all with the stock airbox.
Old 09-27-2001, 10:29 PM

Default Are these people using a cone type filter?

If they are, I can see how and why they can hear it...if they are using a K&N panel type, I would be very interested in that indeed...

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2001, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default nope, not a K&N

from what i've heard, it's not the usual air sucking in sound from the filter though. it's when you let off the throttle when you hear the pssshh sound. i've had an intake on another car so i know what you might be thinking...