A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

WARNING! A4's breeding out of control in BOSTON

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-1999, 05:15 PM
Andrew Schmitt

Default WARNING! A4's breeding out of control in BOSTON

WOW!<p>I was in Boston recently and was amazed by how many A4's are there compared with LA. They are at least 1:1 with BMW's, whereas here they are outnumbered at least 10:1.<p>I'm planning on moving from LA to Boston with my 2.8QMS, and have a question for the Boston A4 owners.<p>I noticed that most of the cars there don't have the sport package- is this because of the road conditions? All of the A4's have the five spoke 15" rims. I'm concerned that my 16" sport rims and suspension are going to take a beating.<p>Anyone in Boston w/Sport package care to comment?<p>BTW - I'm going to spring for a set of rims with snow tires.<p>Andrew<p>(Shouldn't of laughed when I declined the All weather package)
Old 01-25-1999, 05:55 PM
Dan Miley

Default Re: WARNING! A4's breeding out of control in BOSTON

Welcome to Boston. My wife and I both drive Passat 1.8Ts, so I also notice the growing hordes of A4s and B5 Passats here. I'd suggest that you use 15" wheels and snows for the winter and save the good stuff for the good weather. I run 15" Borbet C wheels with SP4000 all seasons on my car in the winter. My wife's car has steel wheels and Pirelli H-rated snows for the winter. I have a set of brand new Passat steel wheels and covers if you are looking for some. Let me know.
Old 01-25-1999, 05:58 PM
StevenN

As you might've guessed, the roads here out East can be pretty bad. With the winters with their freezing and thawing, we get many potholes.<p>I don't live in Boston, but I live only an hour and a half away in Springfield, Mass. ... and the roads suck! I didn't get the sport package because I thought it would be too bumpy. But I am very happy with the standard suspension.<p>By the way, the 5-spoke alloy wheels are 16 inches, NOT 15 inches like you said.<p>You shouldn't have too much trouble in Boston ... as long as you learn some defensive driving maneuvers.<p>StevenN '96 2.8 qm
Old 01-25-1999, 06:16 PM
Andrew C.

Default Coming from LA you don't need to learn defensive driving cause... =)

while the roads may suck in Boston, the drivers suck in CA (except, of course, the wonderful CA readers of A4.org!!) =)<p>No one uses a turn signal, the slowest driver loves to poke along in the left lane, and if it rains...watch out, cause noone's slowing down! In the mountains with snow? Forget about it!<p>I'm originally from New Jersey and it's like charm school compared to CA! You know "Road Rage" was invented on the freeways of Los Angeles.<p>And looking at the bumpers of my A4, I think they should put parallel parking into the driver's test out here! Can you say parking by braille?
Old 01-25-1999, 06:30 PM
DaveL

I certainly agree that A4's are plentiful in the Boston area. I travel a lot and when I park in the garage at Logan, I see an A4 in almost every row!<p>I wouldn't worry about your factory sport package. It was just a coincidence that you didn't see many sport package equiped A4's. Believe me there are plenty of them. At the NE A4 Group lunch on Sat, I'd say half the cars had a factory or aftermarket sport suspension. My Eibach/Koni setup was probably the lowest and I haven't had any problems so far this winter. I run the stock 16 in 5 spokes with RS-As but will switch to 17in with S-02's in the spring.<p>Dave<br>'97 1.8TQMS "wett"<br>
Old 01-25-1999, 06:53 PM
Rodney

Default Sport suspension not a problem

The sport suspension will be fine in Boston, but do keep your eyes open...occasionally a pothole big enough to swallow a VW Bug will develop and not be filled for some time. I've recently moved from Mass. to NC, bought my A4 before I came down here. On a side note, it's a little lonely...I've got the only A4 in the city, maybe the county...have only seen 3 other Audis period since arriving back in December. Anyway, Boston will be no problem with the stock sport suspension, enjoy.<p>Regards,<br>Rodney<p>'99 Silver A4 1.8tqms
Old 01-25-1999, 07:01 PM
bash

Audis are like flies in Boulder, CO. One out of twenty, maybe
Old 01-25-1999, 08:16 PM
ThE UnA BiMmEr

Default So much for the Audiphiles claiming to *not be one of the pack* ............................

aS I SaId bEfOrE.....tHiS iS PoOr ReaSon to PaSs Up tHe *bEnChMaRk* CaR, UnLeSS<br>MoNeY Is ThE IsSuE!!!<p>A4 As CoMmOn As FORD TAURus iN MoSt PaRtS Of U.S. Inc!
Old 01-25-1999, 11:21 PM
Andrew Schmitt

Default I also need to learn how to parallel park

I got trying to squeeze into a space right near Beacon Street in Beacon Hill. Holy Cow, I realized I can't parallel park for CRAP! I'm used to the car friendly lots here...<p>Chorus of voices yelling at me while I struggle... "WHADAYA RETARDED?"
Old 01-26-1999, 03:32 AM
jeff

Default Are you serious?

I don't know. After living in both New Jersey and Southern California for several years (not to mention several other states and a number of foreign countries including Germany) I would much rather drive in California than Jersey. There are jerks on the road no matter where you are. Although perhaps most of NJ's bad drivers are just Long Island transplants.

Quick Reply: WARNING! A4's breeding out of control in BOSTON