A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Why there is no block heater for the 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-1999, 02:46 AM
Martin

Default Why there is no block heater for the 1.8T

I don't know if this has been covered here, I never get a chance to read much on this board any more.

Anyway, for the last 2 years I've been trying to find a suitable block heater for the 1.8T and I was surprised that there wasn't one forthcoming from Audi.

After asking the service department at Queensway in Toronto yet again I finally got the reason. Apparently many of the electronic controls on the engine get their information from various temperature sensors. By preheating the coolant, or a section of the block, or some other part of the system it only serves to confuse the controls. This can make the engine run badly and possibly do damage to itself until it reaches it's normal operating temp.

Oh well, guess I get to stay cold a little longer on winter mornings.

98 1.8TQMS
Old 10-26-1999, 03:44 AM
pauls

Default Maybe, but sounds like hog wash to me.....

A block heater will circulate warm water through the block by convection, thereby keeping the temp of the entire block at a relatively uniform temp. Secondly as soon as you start an engine there are all kinds of hot spots starting at the dop on the cylinders and working its way throught the block. I have my doubts about their comments. I used to have a little water heater that was connected "in line" with the heater. That thing worked real well and doesn't require any special fittings, just cut the heater hose and splice the thing in. Don't know if they still have such a device.
Old 10-26-1999, 03:44 AM
s moyle

Default Re: Why there is no block heater for the 1.8T

Mobil 1 and a small space heater in your garage would be nice. Hey ever get to that Toby pub in Yorkville? SM
Old 10-26-1999, 06:37 AM
ErikR

Default Is hog wash, if you want one (don't need one)...

Canadian tire carries a half-dozen inlines. There is no point unless you live in Igloolic, or use dino oil (but why would you do that?). The only advantage of a block heater is to have the passenger compartment get a bit warmer faster.

Having spent many winters in Calgary and L.Louise (vastly colder than the populated parts of E. Canada), any modern car with synthetic will start in the first crank. The bigger issue is battery cranking power. A battery blanket will do wonders and is very easy to install.
Old 10-26-1999, 06:52 AM
Darren

Default Hey used to live in Sudbury! I know cold!

I'm also a mechanical engineer that did a study on lubricants in 4th year. I wouldn't be too concerned down here. Especially with a 5w30 grade of Synthetic in. Regular oil at 25 below (or 30-40 below in Sudbury) is like tar. That's the problem: when it gets that cold it can take a couple of minutes for the oil to get circulating. Go Synthetic... sleep well! If I was living up north still. I'd be putting an inline heater in...
my $0.02
Darren (enjoy the warm S. Ontario winters! :-)
99.5 1.8T QMS