A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Will H&R race springs reduce body roll?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will H&R race springs reduce body roll?

Or will new shocks also be needed? Also anyone have them, and what do you think?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2004, 09:00 PM

Default yes it will sway bars imo do it the most though.

H-sport owns you
Old 07-24-2004, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Will H&R race springs reduce body roll?

just installed mine with new bilstein shocks
body roll is gone
a little left over.
but over the performance is like 250% better
get me
with the shocks though
Old 07-24-2004, 09:57 PM
JWG

Default We call it a suspension "system" for a reason . . .

all the parts have a function.

Springs compress to absorb the various forces exerted through the wheels to the control arms and rebound to keep the wheels on the ground.

Shocks assist in controlling both the compression and the rebound of the springs.

A properly balanced spring/shock set will greatly reduce body roll even without sway bars. If you install race springs, you can put the system so far out of balance that sway bar upgrades have virtually no effect. The stiffness of race springs can prevent the sway bars transferring forces from one side of the car to the other, even in spirited driving situations.

Sway bars work on a torsion principle that allows you to fine tune the suspension system but also allows you to run a slightly softer spring/shock set-up for comfort, because sway bars decrease body roll in turns without significantly affecting ride comfort on the straights.

Never rely on sway bars as a substitute for proper shocks and springs, because the torsion created by the sway bars will just rip your subframe and chassis apart. Neuspeed initially used far too beefy sway bars that ripped rear subframes apart. Neuspeed developed several generations of substantial rear sub-frame supports and eventually used a smaller diameter bar to prevent damage to rear subframes in cars that had inadequate shocks and springs.

Thus, get a good shock and spring set-up first. Thereafter, use sway bars to fine tune your suspension system.

I kept an OEM hollow sway bar in the front and used a Neuspeed rear sway bar with custom geometry modifications to compliment my Koni Coilover system. I like a very neutral suspension for canyon and street driving. A neutral set-up, while great for tight turns, requires far more concentration at highway speeds to keep the car in the lane due to the lack of understeer. Audi intentionally gave its cars a large front sway bar and a small rear sway bar to create understeer needed to comfortably cruise at 200 kph on the Autobahn.

So, plan your suspension mods carefully. Figure out the balance you want to achieve between ride comfort and performance. Choose components that meet your goals, and fine tune your suspension system with properly adjusted sway bars.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Race springs will kill your stock shocks

Do them at the same time to save time and $$$ on installs

I have H&R Race/Bilstein + a 19mm Neuspeed rear sway on Medium.

Go 4 it
Old 07-25-2004, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Just had H&R sport and Blistien shocks installed. (m)

I had the OEM sport suspension (with 17" Pilot Sport A/S tires) on my 01.5 quattro with 62K miles.

The car is now smooth and roll and bounce during midcorner corrections gone. Brake dive is way down as well. I have the stock sway bars (right now).

Body roll has been reduced, and it feels like a new car again. Didn't lower the car that much (maybe 1/2 inch, but it may settle further). I would certainly get the combo (if you want to go lower then 26.5" (at the top of the fender), get something other then the H&R Sport setup, but don't leave your OEM shocks with new springs.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:10 AM
G18
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i have less body roll with H&R race....

but i was comin from stock nonsport. i put on H&R race with adjustable bilstiens. swaybar is definitely a cheaper option than springs and shocks and i heard it can really tighten up the ride.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:21 PM

Thanks