A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

wind noise = annoying

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wind noise = annoying

does anyone have a cure for needling wind noise that seems to occur in the upper left driver's side window? (yes the window is up...wiseguy)

thanks
Old 01-08-2003, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

"The wind howls...because it can't keep up" 8^)
Old 01-08-2003, 06:06 AM

Default read this.....

<a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc16.shtml">Misc. Tech article</a>
Old 01-08-2003, 06:12 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Close the door!

Do a search for Andy Hedin and Wind Noise. The top portion of the window frame can be adjusted to form a tighter seal via loosening 4 torx screws inside your door, adjusting the frame, and re-tightening the screws.

To find out of this is the source of your wind noise, close a $1 bill between the door frame and various points along your A pillar and roof rail of your car. The bill should remain snug when you pull on it (when the door has been closed). If, at any point, the bill is loose, your window frame should be adjusted via the technique I'm describing. I just had mine adjusted at the dealer a few weeks ago. It's been pretty quiet, but I'm starting to notice the noise returning (albeit at extremely high speeds).
Old 01-08-2003, 06:29 AM

Default agghh....i can't stand my wind noise either

on both the driver and passenger front doors i can hear wind noise anywhere above 40 mph.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default raj... just what is "extremely high speeds"??? (door fix inside too)

dont tell me you're finally letting the S4 run like it was supposed to... j/k. Did you end up raising the drop at all, despite Jeff's protests? How much? new pix??

As for the window- you are exactly right. I had the SAME problem, and fixed it the SAME way, via a previous post from Andy. Xymox- just remove the interior door panel, and you'll see four torx bolts that secure the upper door frame (that surrounds the window) to the lower door frame. The upper frame moves up/down, and slightly left/right. You'll need help for the job- someone to pull up on the upper frame, while you loosen the bolts, then tighten them again. It may take several tries.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:43 AM

Default i think my problem is coming from the TOP of the window...[more]

it's coming from the upper left corner window (parallel to the seat belt). it basically blasts my ear from that corner. i don't hear any wind noise coming from the front of the window (near the side mirror).
Old 01-08-2003, 06:54 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default That's fine...when driving at high speeds, pull the door frame in with your fingers...

that should seal the leak and confirm that what we are describing is really the fix. You can manipulate the top of the door frame by loosening the lower to torx bolts only. This will allow you to pivot the top of the door frame inward, without messing up the rest of the frame alignment. You'll see when you pull the interior door panel off. See the tech section if you need help getting the door panel off.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

He he
Old 01-08-2003, 07:01 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default ...

sirscott wanted a test drive last weekend, so I let her rip (you know, for *his* benefit!). North of 100 I could hear the wind noise again. I had to shut her down near 120 though...I like my license...and the S won't be happy if she's parked because I no longer have my license!

Sirscott grinned and said "that was fun!"..."do it again!". I obliged *one* more time then called it a day.

My dealer shook his head when I told him I have a wind leak at over 80 mph...what's he gonna say when I bring it back and say it's returned at 120? :-/

The car is set to 3/4" drop from stock in the front, and about 1/2" drop in the rear. The drop is very subtle, and to the untrained eye, you wouldn't know it, but the gap around the circumference of the tire is more even now (what we were talking about last time). Unfortunately, no new pics...the car hasn't been washed since before the Longwood run...and I've been driving it around this week in the muck so I can size up the Nokian's (posted a review yesterday in the W&amp;T forum).

Quick Reply: wind noise = annoying