A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

"Trasmission" Problems: Please help... (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Trasmission" Problems: Please help... (long)

I would appreciate it greatly if anyone could help me out on this:

My car sat for 3 1/2 months. Went to start it: Dead. Charged the battery and it started fine and drove perfectly, but the battery wouldnt hold a charge for more than one start.

- Occasionally the transmission (automatic)would be extremely rough when put in gear, and would drive very slowly (as if the 'clutch' was out half way.) Can't drive it this way. BUT this would only happen sometimes.

(it's easy to tell when the tranny will act this way because on the dash instead of just park or drive highlighted, all of 'P-S' will be fully highlighted, and stays that way.)

So: I Installed a new battery. Noticed the old battery had leaked(exploded?) onto the ground. But engine bay seemed unhurt.

After i installed the new battery the car worked fine. Drove Perfectly.

Next start: Same "transmission" problem. - Seems like an electrical problem or the tranny isn't recieving the right signals or something...

I just don't know what to do. I'm out of warranty and the Dealership wants to put in a whole new tranny - $5,500.00 (i'm in college = don't have it)

What concerns me about putting in a new tranny is that it only acts this way sometimes (seems if i actually needed a whole new one, it wouldn't work perfectly sometimes)...

Any thoughts guys?? I appreciate your time reading. Many Thanks!!
Old 11-15-2006, 04:13 PM

Default All the gear lights lit is limp mode for the transmission I believe

Can you get access to VAG-COM to check for tranny codes? I guess it's possible that during one of your jumps you damaged the ecu or tip computer. I purchased a spare tip computer for $300 on ebay, but that was for a 99.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

cant help.. but....trade it in for a stick...
Old 11-15-2006, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Make sure there is no water in the ECU compartment. The TCU, is under the ECU.

Have the TCU scanned for any fault codes. Fix the causes of the TCU fault codes if present. Check inside the ECU/TCU compartment if there is a leak allowing water into the compartment. If there is any water or moisture in the compartment, dry out all the water, and dry the TCU and ECU with a heat lamp and moving air. Also, dry the relays in the bottom of the compartment.
You mentioned that the battery acid escaped from the dead battery. The battery is above the area on the side of the transmission where a "multifunction/range switch is mounted to the trans case. That switch, is connected to the shifter lever with a shift cable. If battery acid leaked onto the switch, then it could be damaged. It may be possible to clean it, but if acid has been leaked onto it, it is best to replace the multifunction range switch. The OBD II measuring blocks for TCU data, record the state of the switch contacts with the shifter in each trans range/mode. Any relevant measuring blocks can also be monitored with a vag-com to catch whatever is causing the trans to go into failsafe mode. The gear indicator display, when all positions are illuminated, means the trans is in failsafe limp home, full mechanical mode, an emergency running mode that is without any control functionality from the TCU. If there are no fault codes, and the multifunction range switch is good, it's proper operation confirmed and known to operate without switching errors, then the TCU should be replaced.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I appreciate the responses! The dealer just told me a minute ago that the reason is magnetic metal

shavings inside the transmission, that are grinding gears and causing the selector to not know what is going on. Is this true, or possible?? The ecu solution sounds more plausible. Dealer says the whole tranny still needs replaced. It still seems to me that they just want to sell me a d@mn transmission... Thoughts??
Old 11-16-2006, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Before the car was stored, there was no known problem? ....

There is magnets placed in the clutch drums, used by the several transmission input/output speed sensors. If for some reason the clutch drums have been damaged, that would explain where the magnetic metal came from. How far past warranty expiration is you car? Mileage? You might be able to appeal Audi for good will assistance repairing this. Otherwise, a rebuilt transmission is available from indie ZF Authorized Rebuilders for less than $2,000 exchange.
The magnetic metal story needs further detailed info, to better understand what happened to the trans.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ask the dealer what the fault codes are in the TCU.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No problems at all before... I'll ask the dealer some more questions, and about the fault codes
Old 11-16-2006, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default He gave me a few codes saying some were 'misfires' and the others were tranny faults... They are:

P0706
P1624
P0300
P0302
P0304
Old 11-16-2006, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Right away, P0706, is a fault code for the multifunction range switch....

"implausible signal". meaning the switch position is not recognized by the TCU. I suggested this as a possible fault in my last reply.
That alone, will cause the problem you described.
Do not authorize the dealer replace the trans. Get a second opinion first.
Replacement of the multifunction switch may be all that is needed.
I don't have time now to check the other codes you listed. I can do so later today.
Please update the thread with info as available.

Quick Reply: "Trasmission" Problems: Please help... (long)