A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

1.8T Engine/turbo longevity with chip upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.8T Engine/turbo longevity with chip upgrade

I've never owned an Audi before, but am considering buying one for the first time. I love the look of the B6. The Avant suits my needs as an active individual (cycling, surfing, etc.). I've been to various Audi dealerships more than a few times since November this past year. I've test driven the 1.8Ts a number of times, and a 3.0 Avant once. The 1.8T Avant weighing in at 3500 lbs. is underpowered, but gets decent gas mileage. The 3.0 (at almost 3700lbs.) is nice, but costs 5k more here in the states and has many features I do not need or want.

So, I'm considering buying the 1.8T, with full intent of chipping it after a year or so to boost the hp/tq.

As a lurker on this site, I've see many posts about chipping 1.8Ts, but haven't gained much insight into the longevity of the engine or turbo with a stage 1 chip upgrade. I am concerned about the reliability of the engine/turbo. This will certainly influence my decision as to whether or not I buy an Avant.

I realize this is an enthusiasts website, and based on their postings and sigs tend to buy new cars more frequently than I personally care to.

That said, I am interested in hearing some experiences of those of you who have bought 1.8T Audis, chipped them, and have had them for more then the extent of their warranty period. Specifically, those of you who have had chips for more than 5 years.

My last two cars have been bullet-proof Acura Integras. While not as fun to drive as German cars, they certainly have been reliable (1987: 179k, 1996: 79k and still going).

Please let me know which chip manufacturer you have used. Thanks in advance. I appreciate your thoughtful replies.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:19 PM

you should post it on the B5 forum. Ours are 2 yrs old tops
Old 01-11-2003, 09:20 PM

Of course - What was I thinking? LOL
Old 01-11-2003, 09:22 PM

First post jitters...
Old 01-11-2003, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Depends on chip brand your maintainence habits.

Always warm up the oil and cool down before you turn off the engine. Change oil regularly - coolant every few years.

Based on various previous chip shootouts, chip makers vary in the aggresiveness of programs. Here is what I've seen in order of most aggressive to least:

MTM
Abt
GIAC
APR
OCT
Neuspeed

The merits of each can be debated at length. Just keep in mind that any time you ask an engine to produce more power, you shorten the life. How much, depends on how you drive, how you maintain the car, and the quality of the programming. Keep in mind that the most power does not equate to best or worst for reliability.

There is no right answer for everyone. You must consider what is important to you, and choose based on those criteria.

I work for AMS, who is the Abt importer. New A4 chip to arrive very soon, as new 4wd dyno is being installed at the new facility now. The reason I work for AMS, is that when I sold Audis, they had the fewest issues when in the service drive at the dealer, and the tuner was always available to answer questions for the dealer if a question arose. Obviously others will have their own opinions and tales to tell;-)
Old 01-11-2003, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Depends on chip brand your maintainence habits.

I'm very **** when it comes to my vehicle.
I religiously change the oil before 4k miles
and would be certain to wait for warm up before
driving a turbocharged vehicle that I paid
(a hard earned) 30k for.

I've read that certain individuals have installed
turbo timers to run the fan an additional X+
minutes after the ignition is shut off. I would
do the same to avoid any potential problems.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:19 AM

Default April/verdegrrl - can you tell me...

if there is an abt vendor in the Toronto area, or close by in Michigan perhaps?

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2003, 06:12 AM

Default An Audi rep at the NAIAS couldn't say enough about OCT.

He essentially stated that the rest weren't worth even investigating. "OCT, OCT, OCT." He lives on the East coast and upgraded the chip in his 2001 1.8tQM avant. He also had to change a "valve" to let in more air (I am not that car-tech-smart, and the chaos of the show kept me from remembering all of it). He claims 245hp and similar torque. Hmmm.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:19 AM

April, how close to the limits of the clutch and drive train with these chips?
Old 01-12-2003, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stratmoshpere is on the East coast. You might try

calling Steven at the shop tomorrow, since he would have the list of dealers.

1-310-763-8000

Quick Reply: 1.8T Engine/turbo longevity with chip upgrade