A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

2 Questions: One about turbo noise and the other about using Tiptronic on my A4

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Questions: One about turbo noise and the other about using Tiptronic on my A4

Howdy

1) Does anyone else's turbo sound like a turbine winding down when you turn of the car? I think it totally rulz...sounds like the batmobile shutting off...

2) using tiptronic mode: i know that if you are near engine limits it will automatically shift for you so you don't harm the engine, BUT, i was using it today and it seems the car shifts automatically when i didn't tell it to, even when i was in a "safe" region. i saw the RPM's drop and everything..but indicator still said i hadn't "shifted"

anyone use Tiptronic regularly that has noticed said issue?
Old 02-01-2002, 08:44 PM

Which gear was the car in, and which gear did it shift to? How big was the drop in RPM?
Old 02-01-2002, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It might sound cool, but I seriously doubt it's the turbo making the noise...

The turbine is so deep inside a water jacket around it I doubt you would really hear it even at full boost. The famous turbo "Pssshhhht" noise is from vented boost gas rushing out the Bypass valve (Or a "blow-off valve" on the really loud cars like Turboed Civics), not the turbine.

Anyway, by the time you shut down (unless you shut down seconds after a full boost run [PLEASE NEVER DO THIS TO YOUR CAR!]) The system is in vacuum, and the turbine isn't really spinning anymore.

If I had to venture a guess (Since I've NEVER heard this kind of noise in a stock 1st gen A4) it's actually the new electric cooling fan spinning down, I've heard it will spin down after shutdown, unlike the old belt driven one that stopped as soon as the engine did.

As far as the Tip thing goes, I have only experience with manual Audi's, but believe me that thing has all kinds of redundant programming to prevent "user error" however they define that. In the previous gen cars there was a seperate "tip chip" you could get apart from the engine ECU one that would make the transmission act much more like a manual (both in how it holds gears and in shift speed). HTH.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:51 PM

I think the fan is the one responsible for the noise.
Old 02-02-2002, 12:55 AM

Default Re: 2 Questions: One about turbo noise and the other about using Tiptronic on my A4

I hear that winding down noise too ...

I have a '02 1.8T CVT and I let the turbo cool down a little first, dunno what it is :-\
Old 02-02-2002, 05:09 AM

well, i was in second trying to shift to 3rd...rpm's were about 3K and dropped down to about 2.5k
Old 02-02-2002, 05:10 AM

Default Re: well, i was in second trying to shift to 3rd...rpm's were about 3K and dropped down to about 2.5

I just thought it was weird..i mean, i could *feel* the car shifting...but it didn't say it was
Old 02-02-2002, 05:11 AM

Default ahhh...so it's the fan. that would make sense. but i *have* notice something else...

I can hear my turbo all the time..especially when it's cold.

and when i'm in tiptronic mode, i can hear it even more...

i'm not complaining, i'm just wondering if anyone else can seriously notice it as much as i seem to be able to?
Old 02-02-2002, 07:14 AM

Default Yes, I also hear a low psssst as it spools up

and on quiet nights I turn the radio and AC off and you can hear a little psshhh! when the BPV discharges.
Old 02-02-2002, 08:44 AM

Default That sounds all too familiar... Did it look like this? ...

My car does the same thing... I've posted a few times about it... and I've also posted some videos...

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/11496.phtml">Videos</a>

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/11141.phtml">My Description of the Phenomenon</a>

I took it in for service and they said it was "normal". Something to do with the torque converter catching up because of the quick acceleration.

Honestly, I'm not 100% convinced yet. But I don't have proof to the contrary, so I guess I'll just live with it for now.

Quick Reply: 2 Questions: One about turbo noise and the other about using Tiptronic on my A4