A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

2100 RPM resonanting still here- New Plugs didn't help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2100 RPM resonanting still here- New Plugs didn't help...

Tried the new plug thing- copper at .032,,,yada yada same thing...resonating still at 2150 rpm...gotta be in the exhaust somewhere or it's connection....acting like a tuning fork, wind instrument...pipes too big, too small, symetrical design, etc...WTF...and so what if it's below freezing...what happened to Audi R&D? It doesn't happen on the B5 platform. Give me a break.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:15 PM

Default Is your car chipped?

If so, probably the dual mass flywheel. The more torque you put through, the more of a tendency it has to produce a slight shutter at low-rpm/high-load
Old 03-03-2003, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Not Chipped...Stock...

but it's been below freezing here for the last 3 months....Flywheel...maybe, I understand the TT's had a problem one time,... but...most likely would notice something slight when engaging clutch....but it is okay...
Old 03-03-2003, 06:26 PM

Default Count yourself lucky if your 1.8 doesn't do it.

I have the same thing and it's very dissapointing. Type of thing I would expect from a damn Kia.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:37 PM

Default Sucks that this is such a problem for you...

I guess I'm lucky and I haven't experienced this 2100 rpm vibration, and it sucks more that the folks on here are so immature as to bash you when you have the right to complain about something you spent a lot of money on.

Have you tried getting the dealer to reseat the engine mounts? This is something that I'll ask my dealer to do at 10k.

If the copper plugs didn't work, try Chevron Techron Concentrate. I've only done one application of it and my idle vibration below freezing is noticeably better. I don't know if there are long term effects of using this stuff during break-in, but chevron puts this stuff in their gas anyway. Perhaps April will know should she read my post.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:45 PM

Default Maybe if everyone with the problem tries a different fix...

Who want to drop $1200 on a new exhaust first? You beat me to the $11 spark plugs.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The plugs fixed mine, so I dunno what else to suggest.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:09 AM

Default 2100 rpm vibration problem is not temperature dependent...

IMO...I live in Florida, daily temperatures between 50 and 85 degrees F, and the 2100 problem persists. I believe it is also not tranmission-type related. Automatic tranmissions, especially CVT, magnify the problem because motor revolutions can "hang" for longer periods of time in the vibration zone (2000-2700 rpms). In Tiptronic mode, the vibration is hardly distinguishable because the revs quickly swing through that zone. I am also using Redline S1-1 intake cleaner which has not eliminated the vibration. I would also say the vibration has gotten stronger as my oil has gotten older (7000 miles).
It IS a 4 cylinder motor, and 4 cylinder motors are naturally unblanaced. Therefore, I expect some vibration. My plan is to check other 1.8Ts and determine whether the vibration is similiar among other cars. Also, some dealers seem responsive and will try to minimize it, while other dealers just say that is the way it is. I will try to optimize my motor through oil, plugs, and intake cleaner in hopes of minimizing all vibration.
FYI...my friend just bought a MB C230K Kompressor Sedan with 1.8L Supercharged, 5-spd Auto (+ balanace shafts). I test drove one a couple of weeks ago, and I rode in his car for about 30 minutes yesterday. My initial impressions were his motor was smoother and quieter, but I later changed my mind. After lunch, I jumped in my car to run an errand and I noticed his car also had the usual 4-cyl rpm/load dependent resonances. Vibration seemed lower, especially in the middle 3-5K range (balance shaft at work), but I was not driving. And I do not notice any vibration when my wife drives our car.
Verdict: I think some people [like myself] are more sensitive to the vibration. I owuld say my test drives in Jetta 1.8T (180hp ,variable cam) did not show the vibrations, but at that time I did not notice the A4 vibrations either. Obviously, some motors will be a tad smoother than others, but the fundamental laws of 4 cylinder motor physics are at work here. I am still working for a smoother 1.8T. CAR magazine: "The 1.8T feels increasingly old and loud...".
Question: How old is your oil?
Now where can I find a B5 to test...
Old 03-04-2003, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default B5 platform does not have it...

From posts made to the B5 platform and personally trying the B5's appear to be resonant free. This is new for the B6!...the dealer exhanged exhaust resonator/muffler - unsuccesful; apparently tried adjustment to motor mounts - unsuccessful; and adjustments to exhaust hangers...also unsuccessful....

But then the dealer doesn't seem to have any good trouble shoot mechanics....they have inexperienced replacement "techs", that ask Audi what to replace...and what to do next...I don't believe it is my job to solve their problem..!

Audi says that the rep is the expert...LOL...
where is the Audi R&D access...or is there something they don't whant to admit to, or attemp to fix...."that's they way it is", no thank you!

There is no such thing as resonation common to 4 cylinder engines...unless it is poorly built!
Old 03-04-2003, 04:48 AM

Default I drove a B5 for 4 years and it was the perfect car.

You could feel the engine more at certain rpm's but it never resulted in a vibration or resonance. It was a flawless engine. My 2003 still has a fantastic feel...other than that rpm.

I wonder if the stiffer frame has anything to do with it.

When the dealer changed the exhaust did they just replace it with a new stock unit?

Quick Reply: 2100 RPM resonanting still here- New Plugs didn't help...