A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Almost took the A4 to the track today, couple questions (long)...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 12:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost took the A4 to the track today, couple questions (long)...

$15 dollars in NH for a run, but issues at home came up.

But I was wondering a couple things, I have an 02 1.8TQ sport, and have read Audi's and others naught to 60 claims, and fer the hell of it wanted to see what it could do. Wondering how people feel with their clutch though.

I've been driving my friends 2000 S4 around alot lately (well mod'd), and shifting and clutch are all quite nice... responsive to foot position, I generally use a shallow clutch etc. Anyways I can drive his car quite well, and have only driven standards my whole life.

With the 02 A4 however, dont know if its the throttle by wire, but it feels like the gas pedal has two positions, namely economy and sport.

Regardless how my foot presses on the gas it will either accelerate well, or not... but I can adapt to that pretty well, but I've been noticing the engine/tach just hangs when shifting and throwing the clutch in, and its REALLY aggrivating to get crisp quick shifts.

I've experience this a bit in REALLY powerful engines, but even in the 350 hp S4, not a problem at all; but in the A4 revs just hang for a fraction of a second quite independent of foot speed on clutch, annoying to say the least.

Another qualm, the throw of the clutch seems too long, another friend was able to have the one in his 98 A4 "shortened" during routine warranty service, still possible to tighten/shorten that up on ours? Once the short shift goes in, I'd really like a much shorter throw for my foot... too much cognitive dissonance and interhemisphereic traffic for my brain.

gah?
Old 06-14-2002, 12:09 PM

I hate launching this car - I like rolling on from second
Old 06-14-2002, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think the revs hold when you let off the gas by design...

I've heard that the car is designed to hold the rpms briefly when you let off the gas, to help make shifting smoother. Supposedly, chips remove this 'feature', which is probably why you find driving the modded S4 easier.

Anyone else ever hear this? I know my 3.0 is the same way, so I've learned to adjust by taking my foot off the gas well before I let the clutch in to shift...
Old 06-14-2002, 12:58 PM

yes they do on some cars it's more noticeable than others, the heavy stock flywheel doesn't help any
Old 06-14-2002, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Also helps with emissions. Sudden throttle openings and closings pollute more.

The ecu can't keep up with the sudden changes, and the car runs rich as the throttle closes ( quickly ).