A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Audi a4 1.8t 20v g28 fualt after engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi a4 1.8t 20v g28 fualt after engine rebuild

Hey guys Im in need of some help
I've typed out a few paragraphs listing the events leading up to where i am currently with the car and in search of a solution without pulling my motor again unless i really really need to

List of events even​​​​​I bought my Audi A4 1.8t 20v 2003 about a year and a half ago with the knowledge of a worn out timing chain and tensioner and eventually the timing chain guide broke and i bent a few valves and broke a timing belt pulley
I then decided to rebuild the entire engine ( pistons, rings, valves, hydraulic lifters, bearings big ends and mains, oil pump and oil pump chain, timing belt kit, water pump , timing chain and tensioner, full gasket sets top and bottom, head bolts std )

While i was waiting for the parts to arrive i decided to clean the parts i was going to still use so that it was ready for assembly and dropped my crank from about 5cm/ 2in and buckled the crank sensors plate a very slight bit and as a result i removed the sensor plate off the crank and put it in a lathe to straighten it out and got the sensor plate to be between 1 and 2 hundredths out left to right and outer diameter of the sensor plate i then put the sensor plate back onto the crank (i think this is where i might have gone wrong) and proceeded to assemble my engine and during assembly everything went smoothly and all my timing marks aligned and double checked all my markings
First start and the rest of the starting up until now 8 months laterThe first start was a bit rough but i thought maybe it was fuel having to run back to the fuel rail and after it started it ran smoothly and had all the power it was supposed to and when i switched the car off it wouldn't always struggle to start but when it did struggle to start it really really struggled to start. If i scan the car it brings up g28 ing/ Distributor eng speed inp circ: range/performance which tells me its crank sensor fault and I've changed the crank sensors and cam sensors multiple times and check timing multiple times and wiring and everything checks out but still struggles to startI guess I'm trying to see if anyone else has struggled as much as i have before i go and pull the motor
-Joshua Swart
Old 07-27-2023, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

How do you figure you went wrong on the tone ring for the sensor? Is there multiple ways to put the ring back on the crank? Or are the bolts holding it on in an odd pattern like the flywheel so it can only go on one way? Unless you installed it clocked in the wrong position I don’t see how you could screw that up. Did you mark the position of the ring before you removed it?

What is the actual code you are getting when you scan the ECU?