A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Audi B6 Quattro/FWD Fuel Pump Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi B6 Quattro/FWD Fuel Pump Question

So unfortunately my fuel pump went on my A4 (FWD) and of course no where in town has one in stock and the fastest I could receive one if it was ordered would be a week. I really can't wait that long so I need some of your guys' knowledge.

My question is can I put a fuel pump for a quattro into a FWD? from what I have researched the fuel pumps are in slightly different places in the car but I couldn't find anything that said whether they are interchangeable or not. So if anyone knows the answer (or any advise about changing the pump) that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-12-2017, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by dukey12
My question is can I put a fuel pump for a quattro into a FWD? from what I have researched the fuel pumps are in slightly different places in the car but I couldn't find anything that said whether they are interchangeable or not. So if anyone knows the answer (or any advise about changing the pump) that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I don't know if there is a fuel pump difference between FWD and AWD (I don't recall ever seeing one) but the FWD pump is accessed through the tank cover at the front of the trunk, the Quattro through a cover under the rear seat cushion on the passenger side. In the case of the Quattro, the seat is clipped at two spots, right under where passengers sit. A strong yank at the lower edge in front of either clip will release it. You can skip that step.

As long as the tank is not full, the procedure is not all that difficult. On my B5 I had a difficult troubleshooting issue and had the pump in and out so many times that I could have it out in five minutes if I wanted to (trouble turned out to be broken wiring- underneath the wire insulation inside the tank).

The pump has a cylindrical white plastic body which provides suspension and noise control for the electric pump in the middle. The pump's cylindrical body is made to attach like a bayonet mount, rotating 15 degrees CW, to snap into place. By forcing it CCW, it will click and rotate 15 degrees to the removal position. Take a good look at the new pump; there will be groove on the lower rim of the cylinder which is the alignment mark. When installing, this will match a mark/line on the holding frame in the tank. You will actually see two lines on that frame close together; one for dropping it into place, the second mark being the latched position.

You may be able to rotate the pump body by hand, but often a couple of large crossed screwdrivers set against notches in the upper rim of the pump body will provide the leverage you need to unlatch it. Be sure to wear long rubber gloves, don't be reaching into gas with bare skin. A fire extinguisher nearby would not be a bad idea, and use an LED flashlight instead of any other kind that might spark.