A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Audi Junki - oil change question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Audi Junki - oil change question?

First, where are you living these days?

I only put 500 miles on the A4 this year, trips where mostly 20+ miles.

How do you feel about not changing the oil with so little mileage on it?
Old 10-01-2008, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default If it's synth oil and don't want to change it, fine but cold-cranking is affected.

Good to hear from you and I did want to say hi when I saw you posted the other day. As for the oil, I say it will work fine >1 year in most climates. However, cold-cranking is rapidly diminished when an oil goes in-service. With 500 miles, ok....not a lot of miles. My guess the CC thing tracks with oxidiation, which is still low at 500 miles.

Another time-factor is the condensation we get when the temps swing 40 degrees in a day. It does accumulate in the oil and is the reason we see a level drop on a long trip. Bob, I would make sure you take a long drive, even before you change oil...or not. Old oil + water, heated and mixed=yuck.

That being said, those are the reasons I do time-based oil changes. I actually do 4x a year in my red '07 Accord Coupe and the same in my wife's old CRV, just with plainer oil. Timed changes allow for me to tweak the visc for seasons too. I use 5w-20 in winter and 30 weight off-season.

You have to consider too, you are talking to someone here who is informed, but biased too. I say change it every year before winter. However, I think the notion of not changing because it's ONLY 500 miles is quite valid too. A tough call. I'm guessing you dont' have a heated garage either.

Here is another suggestion. Do you go to WalMart in West Hazleton much? They actually do great work in the TLE there. You could BYO filter, but that is kind of silly. Their only filter that would "work" is the tiny Fram and they probally won't even out it on because it's not in their book. Anyway, my best advice is to get a TLE synth (or 10w-40 pennzoil...HONESTLY!!!) change and leave/drain + reuse the "old" filter, since it only has 500 on it. That is good advice if you trust TLE, I do. Old "Bob" there is awesome and has some great stories. You could get Mobil 1 T&SUV 5w-40 AWESOME stuff. Mobil 0w-40, 10w-30 HM Rotella 5w-40 etc. I'd actually just get a $20 Pennzoil change or maybe GTX HM or MaxLife for $25. I am not kidding about the dino oils for the V6. That is a killer deal to get your car serviced. WVM Audi did my changes dirt cheap, but they have the Castrol 5w-40, yuck. If that's what you have in you engine, that wouuld make the difference for me.

Anyway, I'm still in nutty Lehigh Twp. Thanks for asking. I wish I had more fun things to talk about...oh, oil. Let me know if I can be of any more help, Clark

btw- is that your cousin who is a barber? I go to him once in a while and mention your name.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Nice to hear from you......

Yes, I have a heated garage, the filters, and oil (normally use Castrol GTX). Most trips are over 20 miles so the moisture should vaporize.

I'm just getting lazy since I retired early. I hate removing that lower pan. I guess I could just suck the oil out the dip stick tube. I'm planning on getting a VW Tiguan in the spring so the A4 will be going in as a trade. I need a small SUV for my current lifestyle going to Lowes at lot.

Eddie the Barber is my uncle.

Well keep pushing those lawsuits....