A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

B6 A4 2004 - 170k Mi, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B6 A4 2004 - 170k Mi, what to do?

I've got a 2004 A4 3.0 with the CVT multitronic transmission... I love the thing but I just graduated college and I'm currently job searching, and I'm wondering what I should do with this car. It's developing a number of quality issues and I currently am trying to decide whether I should put the money in to care for it, or if I should keep it mechanically in check until it conks. I thought I should get an opinion from fellow Audi enthusiasts.

It's nearly at 172k miles. Most of the miles were spent driving around Chico, CA, and coasting at 60-80MPH on HW-99 between Chico and Sacramento, CA. It has the 3.0 V6, multitronic CVT, Factory Sports package. I bought it in 2011, with 109k mi. We replaced the timing belt in fear that it hadn't been previously done, the injectors also had a problem which was fixed. Brake pads have been replaced twice, discs once. Fuel Filter and pump have been replaced. Axles were recently done. Oil, except for one service, has been done on the dot. I've almost always put premium fuel in the car. Up until 150k miles I was using Continentals, now I've switched to Sumitomos (cheap tires). Right now I'm sure the car has some sort of electrical problem, the CD player, window switches, and memory setting feature will goof up after several weeks of the battery being wired up. The Check Engine light comes on, code comes back as a problem with a sensor in the exhaust system (I've just been clearing the code using tools to pass smog).

I have read up on the problems with the transmission, we've done the fluid twice but the shuddering has been consistent since probably 130-140k mi and has never gone away. I just try to be careful not to apply too much throttle when coasting, although on one occasion(over at least 3 years ago) I have heard the clutches slam, with a grinding whirring noise. I've never gotten a flashing PRNDS, never had any other problems with the transmission. I mostly try to keep the transmission in D, only shifting to S for overtaking and rare spots of fun, and advising others who drive my car never to use the Tiptronic. I recall reading somewhere using S and Tiptronic on a multitronic trans accelerates wear.

I'm wondering if I can get any opinion from this forum on what you think is the best thing to do with this car. I really enjoy driving it, but it's control arms need replacing... and there's other quality issues with the car (ruined clear coat, needs new tires, windshield is cracked, transmission possibly failing) so I'm wondering if I should anticipate imminent failure of the car, or if you guys can see any worth in keeping this car going.

I can provide more information on the car if any of you are curious.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2017, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

My opinion: do the minimum to keep the car on the road and drive easily as you have done. In my humble opinion, the benefit of an Audi is in the torsen Quattro equipped cars. Save your money for a gently used S4 or S5 with a manual.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lyleswk
My opinion: do the minimum to keep the car on the road and drive easily as you have done. In my humble opinion, the benefit of an Audi is in the torsen Quattro equipped cars. Save your money for a gently used S4 or S5 with a manual.
I'm essentially of this frame of mind as well.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry, I meant to add:

I still have an 05 1.8 Quattro with 130k & still love the car. I've maintained it & haven't had any major issues. In my experience, it's when these cars aren't maintained & driven as they should be that there tend to be more issues. Perhaps I've just been lucky(?)

It sounds like you've done all the right things. The one thing I would bring up with tires: I tried using less expensive tires (I have the ultrasport) but I was getting worse mileage & they needed to be replaced much more quickly than any other set of tires. Just food for thought depending on how long you plan to keep the car.

Oh, I'm also fanatical about only using Chevron gas (supreme) in it, too.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree. Your car as described essentially has minimum value, with several expensive fixes that could happen any time. I'd drive it til it drops, then junk it. I wouldn't put more than 500 into it if something happens. Or sell it now for 1000.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I appreciate the help guys. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by lyleswk
I had the chance to drive the same gen as my car, but the S4... and I really, really love how it drives. I haven't had the chance to drive newer Audis yet, but I was considering getting an A5 or S5 on the basis it'll be more economical and full-featured anyways. My dad's neighbor also has a modified TT-RS, and that looks might fun.

I do want to get a proper Audi when I'm done with this one though- but I am a bit attached to the CVT's driving feel... it's different and interesting. Reading up on it though, it sounds like the efficiency gain and other small advantages are seriously outweighed by the expense, unreliability and complexity. Plus you can't mod the car because the CVT's torque limit is very low.

Again thanks for your advice guys, really means a lot coming from other long-time Audi owners, especially those who currently own B6s.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Modified TTRS? That would be entertaining. It has to be entertaining in its unmodified version since it is 100+hp over a 225 TT which my son has.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Lol don't give up.
The good news is, at this point, it's a good 'hobby' car, because you can get the part for cheap from ebay + lots of solved DIY instructions already.

1. Look for part number from AudiParts (you can see how the OEM part should look like) : https://parts.audiusa.com/Audi_2004_...V6-AT-AWD.html
2. Search for that part number on eBay/Amazon. Loots of interchangeable parts for half-price than the local automotive stores.
3. Check here for DIY instruction (and Youtube) : Audi A4 B6 (2002-2005) Technical Article Directory | DIY maintenance and repair projects for Audi A4 model years 2002-2008 | Pelican Parts

Make sure you have VAG-COM or at least 'updated' VAG-401.
Execute, and report your success on the forum.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Medessec
Right now I'm sure the car has some sort of electrical problem, the CD player, window switches, and memory setting feature will goof up after several weeks of the battery being wired up.
Could be moisture/water from under the driver seat hitting CCM (Comfort Control Module).
Solution: Unscrew seat, lift carpet up, remove CCM board ... soak CCM in 100% Alcohol ... let it completely dry, reinstall. Run VagCom to match your FOB.

The Check Engine light comes on, code comes back as a problem with a sensor in the exhaust system... ...we've done the fluid twice but the shuddering has been consistent
1. Check/replace sparkplugs (super cheap) sometimes there's oil leak in there; leaking because of old gasket (cheap and easy to fix).
2. Replace / Clean MAF (insanely easy --unscrew, spray/replace --only $25, put it back, done).
3. Replace PCV / common 'vacuum leak' problems: Audi A4 B6 Fixing Common Vacuum Leaks (2002-2008) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

ruined clear coat, needs new tires, windshield is cracked, transmission possibly failing)
Ruined Clear coat : Rebuff & Repolish with Glare/CQuartz ... or Plasti-Dip the whole thing.
Need new tires: Buy used tires with plenty of threads left from Craigslist/Ebay/bestusedtires.com
Cracked Windshield: If it spider-crack, buy windshield remover. If it's bad line-crack, visit your local junkyard for windshield.