A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Can we put this to bed: Oil change interval and type?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can we put this to bed: Oil change interval and type?

Not only am I new to Audi World (been lurking here for a few weeks) but I'm also the proud first-time Audi owner of a new '02 A4 3.0QT that I just picked up on Saturday.

My confusion is over the first scheduled service and much of the banter that I've seen from my fellow enthusiasts. I was told by my dealer that the cars come from the factory with synthetic oil in them. He also stated that there is disagreement among the service personnel as to whether or not they're using conventional oil during scheduled services. That would make no sense to me.

Staying on task with my question, my original intention was to get a synthetic oil change at 1500 miles and then continue on the 10K mile schedule. I know that a '01 A6 owner/friend of mine had a 5K service, then it went to 10K intervals.

The bottom line for me, and I'm sure every other new Audi owner is that I want to be sure that:

- I'm using the right type of oil (conventional or synthetic).
- I am not getting the oil changed too soon after the 1K break-in.
- Nor am I getting the oil changed too late after the 1K break-in.

More specifically with regards to the break-in period, what types of speeds/rpm should I stay away from? I generally won't go over 80 mph @ 3K rpm. I've had it up to 100 mph at 4K once or twice and kicked it down a few times to 4.5K rpm. The car now has 280 miles on it.

I know this topic has been covered a million times here, however, it seems like such of the information supplied is rather subjective. I'm seeking hard facts as to what I should do. I just want to do the right thing for my car, which, BTW, I love more than life itself!

Thank you all very much.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hard fact: Your owner's manual - first oil change: 10K miles.

I really don't think that dealers here put in synthetic at no extra charge. Although, I've heard of some dealers who use some cheap Castrol synthetic which is not really a true synthetic.

Audi of America's position is that both dino and synth are acceptable. For my own piece of mind (especially because I have turbo), I bring in my own synthetic.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:17 PM

Default The 3.0 is a strongly designed motor and does not require the lower mileage intervals of a turbo

motor with an iron block. They burn the motors in at the factory like Porsche and fill with syn. Aluminum block with iron liners is the evolution at AG now; not just for the high end motors. I will drive mine like I stole it after 600 miles. Love that Cosworth engineering.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:17 PM

Default If you love your car, do your own oil changes!

I've heard NUMEROUS stories of people dropping cars off for oil changes (with fresh quarts of Mobil 1 provided by the car owner), only to have regular oil poured into the crankcase. The whereabouts of the synthetic have always remained a mystery.

Granted, these were Ford and GM dealerships, but how trustworthy are the Audi service depts?
Old 04-17-2002, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Oh I agree - if I had the facilities and knowledge and time - I'd do it all.

I try to do as much as I can on my own.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Oh I agree - if I had the facilities and knowledge and time - I'd do it all.

Well, there's nothing like bonding with your new car by having hot engine oil run down your forearm...

A couple of cheap Rhinoramps, a level driveway and a nice day are all you need.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default lol ...

replacing the oil filter can be a bitch though, but I guess having the oil poured on yourself makes it all worth it ;-)
Old 04-17-2002, 03:05 PM

Default Ok...here is my oil change experience

After having nightmares of my engine being torn to peices with my hard driving style, I gave in to my natural instincts and got the oil change.

I have to admit... I waited until 7000 miles because of all the hype about additives that audi puts in the oil to help the seals....well seal.

Even my non-audi dealer mechanic had told me that....

So I finally gave in and figured whatever additive is in there has done its job.

Conclusion: MOBIL 1 rocks! I am changing my oil every 3-5 miles and timing it right for the "dealer" maintenance.
Old 04-17-2002, 05:12 PM

LOL . Been there, done that.