A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Clicking/tapping from under valve cover 2002 A4 b6 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 04:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking/tapping from under valve cover 2002 A4 b6 3.0

After replacing the timing belt I rotated the engine around by hand. The first rotation was smooth, the second had a lot of resistance. I'm not sure why this would be, maybe I was off a tooth. I didn't use the the cranks lock just the cam locks. So I tore the head off and there was a very obviously bent valve . I replaced the bad valves put it all back together, turned the engine by hand several rotations everything felt smooth. I put everything back together and started it up. The lifter noise was really loud, it sounded about like an '85 rabbit deisel but once oil got to the right places it quieted to a nice hum. Soon after that the clicking / tapping started and has gotten progressively worse. It's quiter when you first start it up after being colder but gets much more pronounced with revs It seems to come from under the valve cover, beneath the fuel rail, around the 1 or 2 intake valves .I'm hoping it's not serious. It idles smooth and no misfires so it doesn't seem like it could be another bent valve. I'm planning on putting some sea foam or motor flush in it tomorrow and dropping the pan to see if it may be a sludge/blockage issue. Can anyone offer insight to what this might be ? I had trouble getting video to upload to this site so hopefully the youtube link works. In the video the click seems quiter than it is in person and the whining sound is much more pronounced in the video. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

How was the timing off so bad when you used the cam locks? I also changed my timing parts w/o the crank lock, but did temporarily install the front plastic cover and crank pulley with a couple of bolts, to set TDC by aligning marks. On my car, there is a blue paint dot almost over the scribe line on the crank pulley rim, I suspected that was a factory TDC mark so I lined up on that.

The noise might be due to a lifter, or lifters that were stressed when the valves were hit by the piston.