A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Climate control: ECON with or without AUTO?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Climate control: ECON with or without AUTO?

I'd like to ask a question about the ECON function. Nothing crucial, but something that I would like to have clarified. As a side note, I am fully aware that AUTO allows the air compressor to kick in when needed and ECON won't.

On my 2002 1.8T Avant, starting with the climate control OFF, I can press the ECON button by itself, without having AUTO selected, and the temperature will be quickly brought up to the indicated level (provided that the outside temperature is lower than inside the vehicle). Once the indicated temperature has been reached, the fan settles to one bar and stays there.

If I go through the same procedure with the ECON button, but having AUTO selected to begin with (I assume that the compressor will be deactivated as soon as I press the ECON button) I noticed that the fan never goes below 3-4 bars even after having reached the indicated temperature.

My questions is: are there any benefits using the ECON button with or without the AUTO function selected?
Old 03-24-2004, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hopefully you will get many responses - I could learn from this one too

I have not yet settled in to using the "auto" function. This is my first car to offer it and I am used to always being in control. I generally use the manual mode. And, most of the time I run in econ. About the only time I use the auto mode is in the summer when on trips of about 1/2 hour or more . . . which is almost every day . . . . then I set the temp, turn off the econ, and run in auto mode. I, too, noticed that the auto mode runs 4 bars or higher all the time.

I do not like that the auto mode chooses the vents. . . .yet another feature I want to control. . . .

so there you have it. I'm a control freak and have not yet accepted that the auto function is better. . . .but I do use it from time to time.

Today's setting: manual, econ, Lo. . . two bars & sunroof vented open

Oh, and I ALWAYS run recirculate - crappy LA Smog!
Old 03-24-2004, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good question....

Are you saying that in your second case you start the CC with the Auto Button and then press ECON, which causes the fan to settle out at 3-4 bars? And your 1st stituation is that you have the CC off and start it up by pressing the Econ button which allows the Auto lights to be off, correct?

If this is the case, then your changing factor is Auto on/off. When not in Auto, there are probably many different levels of "auto" that are running. My guess is that if you aren't in auto and with the econ disabled, they leave the fan higher to keep the vehicle from fogging up due to the higher moister level that could be in the air. When in Full Auto, I would think that either:
1) the compressor could potentially kick in if the conditions exists, but it just minimizes the usage of it when the Econ button is selected.
2) or, it automatically adjusts the air mixture doors (temperature) and air flow doors (panel/floor) along with the fan speed to achieve a comfortable cabin environment

This is something that we coded into our algorithms for CC's that are in the Chrysler Minivans. This is also used in almost all other GM vehicles.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:56 AM

Default AFAIK, Auto controls much more than just the compressor...

it also monitors abient humidity (there's a sensor right above your head in the light/sunroof console). So, my guess is, because ECON cannot remove humidity from the air (on account of the fact that it will not run the A/C compressor/pump) it does not use the extra input of the humidistat. Thus, it may find an acceptable input from the temp sensor, and consequently lower the blower, where as the AUTO feature would find an acceptable temp setting, but may keep the blower at a higher speed in an attempt to bring the humidity into an acceptable parameter.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think if you're not in AUTO mode, you actually adjust the fan speed too

In AUTO mode it will blow more than one bar, just to keep the air circulated, it is normal. If you're not in AUTO mode and have the ECON turned on, you still have to adjust the fan speed on your own.

All ECON does is it turns on and off the AC compressor.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yes, you are reading my description correctly...

... but I am also saying that the fan will settle at 3-4 bars when on AUTO+ECON, while only at 1 bar when on ECON alone.

Again, I don't mean to split hairs - after all either way the climate control is working beautifully - but I am just curious to learn more about its operation.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sounds like a reasonable explanation but (more)

if AUTO+ECON = compressor off, then settling to a higher fan speed (than ECON alone) to lower humidity would not be required, as the compressor is deactivated anyway. No?
Old 03-24-2004, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Again, in ECON (non AUTO) you can change the fan speed to whatever you want!

In ECON (non AUTO) the fan speed is whatever YOU set it to with the little +/- buttons (not the +/- for the temperature, the ones in the middle). So in ECON non AUTO, the fan speed doesn't settle to anything.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Again, in ECON (non AUTO) you can change the fan speed to whatever you want!

That's true.

So you are suggesting that when I say that the fan "settles to" 1 bar (in ECON alone, no AUTO) in truth it is no longer trying to maintain the indicated temperature but just sort of "waiting for my input"?

Just trying to connect all the information found in this tread so far...
Old 03-24-2004, 07:28 AM

Default Right, but I think (this is going to sound dopey, but whatever)...

by first setting the CC to AUTO and then pressing ECON you are telling the CC to do everything it would have in full AUTO, just without the compressor/pump. It's just a guess, but it makes sense (sort of) to me.

Quick Reply: Climate control: ECON with or without AUTO?