A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Cooling fans running when car is off

Old 07-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ew. It looks like you have to cut slots in the security screws and remove the casing from the ECM to get the harness off the ECM. Should I change it? Yes. Do I want to? I'm not sure :-)
Old 07-23-2013, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you think you got it sealed ok, just go with it
Old 07-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, jury rigging is just that. That compound is good to 250 degrees, so I don't know what the temp gets to behind the firewall, but I don't think it's close to that. I ordered the support bracket for the ECU because it was $7 and it's snap in - done. If someone could give me some guidance, I'd much rather replace the housing and have peace of mind. I'm also thinking of just drilling two small holes in the bottom of the housing when I replace the bracket while I'm in there. I saw some people doing that and the only downside is the potential of water getting in from under it, which I don't see happening unless the car is submerged pretty deep. Again, it's behind the firewall, so water getting in from outside the box is unlikely. I get why there would be no outlet for water from inside the box - because it was engineered to be sealed! But when people get cracked boxes from mechanics who aren't careful, the box is compromised with no way for the water to get out except evaporation. So it seems like unless I replace my housing, I should probably want there to be an outlet for the water IF it should happen to get past my "ingenious" engineering. Thoughts? What's under the ECU housing on the low point by the relays? Anything problematic there should I drill two small holes?
KJ
Old 07-25-2013, 08:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

24 hours now with no fans running when the car is off! For a $56 relay and some reaearch into getting into the ECU box without many tools at all instead of the $850 (after first quoting me $1,100) that the dealership wanted, I feel damn good right now. Even if I have to replace the housing at $125 plus the ECU screws and a new bracket at $7, still a bargain. I'm thinking of asking for my $125 back from Audi on the "diagnostic" work that yielded that the fan control module was the answer. I would recommend tht if this happens to you and no one has the relay, order it from Audi or Autozone, wait the day or two it takes to get it, and keep pulling/putting in the fan fuse from the panel inside the car when you shut it off/go to drive it. Just don't wait as long as I did or it might cost you an ECU as well.
KJ
Old 07-25-2013, 08:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh, and thanks again to Lyleswk, ECS, and Prospeeder for contributing to the solution to this problem. Scary when forums work and mechanics don't know the answers. Especially when your paying them!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kjmiles
Oh, and thanks again to Lyleswk, ECS, and Prospeeder for contributing to the solution to this problem. Scary when forums work and mechanics don't know the answers. Especially when your paying them!
Glad to hear you have figure out a solution and saved yourself hundreds!

It's definitely empowering when you can save that kind of cash and get your vehicle back to functioning properly.

If later on in the future decide to replace any of the modified parts for new let me know and I'll be happy to help source part numbers and quote you.

Feel free to PM or e-mail (Jason@ecstuning.com)

Cheers!

Jason
Old 07-25-2013, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Glad to hear we aimed you in the right direction. Also glad to see you dig into the car a bit and take ideas and turn them into info to fix it. Always satisfaction with solving problems, especially now that you have $1000 to spend on something else.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Truer words were never spoken. Haven't rain tested it yet, but everything looks bundled up better than it was. We shall see.
Thanks again, Lyleswk!
KJ
Old 08-25-2015, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This helped me a lot in so glad you kept up with your post thank you so much
Old 08-25-2015, 07:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's what these threads are for - helping each other out. Glad all my hard work helped someone else! It's been 2 years now and no problems with the ECM box or the fans.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cooling fans running when car is off