A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Debating if I should renew my OnStar in my A4. Any opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debating if I should renew my OnStar in my A4. Any opinions

My subscription currently expired about a month ago. I've never used it to date, but when I need it I will not have it.

$199/yr seems pricing for something I've never used.

Opinions?
Old 12-03-2004, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default well, while I'd think of OnStar like an optional insurance policy

while 199 a year is pricy for something you don't use, OnStar seems like the kind of thing that you should hope not to use it, but be grateful you have in the event that you need it. Do you think that you'd regret not renewing it if you ended up having a situation where you needed it and didn't renew?
Old 12-03-2004, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good point, I just need to give it some thought. I don't like tossing money away.

Only reason I think I would need the airbag deployment thing is if I was in accident where I knocked out. I live a populated area, so most like some other drive will call for help. I could see maybe needing the car unlock feature, but ???

I remember my Dad telling me he used his once. He was a couple hundred miles from home golfing with clients and he locked his keys in his trunk will getting out his clubs. Having the ability to have Onstar unlock his car easily probably paid for itself in that one incident.

???
Old 12-03-2004, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is your tolerance for risk? How about the "valet key and cell phone" approach?

In this type of situations most people are quick to point out that renewing a never-used-before OnStar plan, or changing the oil every 3,000 miles, or buying a car jack to keep in the trunk as replacement for the flimsy OEM jack, or.... you get the point is "cheap insurance". In truth, once you bunch together all the various cheap insurance policies, so to speak, they sure add up to a substantial expenditure.

At the end of the day it is up to you to decide how much you want to risk, versus how much you are willing to subsidize your bad fortune with countless "cheap insurance" steps.

Me? Aside from the fact that I don't have OnStar in my car, I always carry the valet spare in my wallet, have a cell phone with Audi Roadside Assistance number memorized (never had to use it so far), which can also be used for calling the Police when needed. I think this about covers what OnStart can do for you for an additional $199/year. I won't even get into the 3,000-mile oil replacements, as I don't want to turn this into an oil thread: suffice to say that I stick with the 10,000-mile recommended intervals, knowing that between CPO warranty and "oil sludge" warranty extension I have one of the most highly warranted engines in car making history.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default you make some valid points

for the record, I don't have OnStar...it wasn't offered as an option on my car when I ordered, and even if it was I probably would not have ordered it. I also keep the spare in my wallet (the little black plastic one, just to get in the car in case i lock myself out) and keep the roadside assist number memorized in my cell...then again, i also have a real jack in my trunk cause I don't trust the flimsy audi jack (had a bad experience in my dad's previous A6)...at 25 bucks, I won't get into the cost of the jack cause 25 bucks should be nothing to someone driving a 30 plus thousand dollar car...I'm not saying that HiTEC should renew, but I was raising a point of how to consider OnStar as a service. I know OnStar has additional services aside from the emergency stuff (don't know the pricing structure of what's included in which service), but having a policy like an OnStar system is certainly not a bad expense imho...
Old 12-03-2004, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I got it more for resale value more than anything. When I order my cars I get every option available

OnStar/Audi Telematics happened to be one of the available options.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Consulted with the boss (wife) she thinks it's a waste. Problem solved.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default *ding*

when all else fails, go to the real decision maker ;-D
Old 12-03-2004, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I like to make her feel important sometimes ;-))
Old 12-03-2004, 01:29 PM

Default NSA OnStar A4 Tracking Device? My opinion is...

dump that ****; we don't need spies watching us from space.

Quick Reply: Debating if I should renew my OnStar in my A4. Any opinions