A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Dissapointed with MTM's Service.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dissapointed with MTM's Service.

I have had an ongoing issue with my MTM 1+ pinging. Some days its real bad, some days I don't notice it... I live about 45 minutes south of hoppen motorsport and chose MTM over the other chips because of the proximity me to them and seeing what they did for my friends S4.

I had contacted them several times via phone and email, and was first told MTM's software doesn't ping was I using 93 octane? Well that's what I always put in, but I was buying my gas from Costco.. So I switched to Chevron.. Problem persists, so I go with a colder copper plug. I call again, asking if I can bring the car by.. I am told no, I need to hook it up to a VAG-COM..

So.. Not being made of money I ask the only person I know to borrow theirs.. They are now residing in Atlanta, and that plan doesn't pan out. Two months later I finally am able to get the thing hooked up to a vag-com. the results

3-11 degrees of timing pull in each cylinder when I get into it. Not really good. The ECU does adapt and then I only see 3-6 degrees of pull, and the pinging is no longer audible.

I finally email hoppen asking what to do.. I am told to call and speak to mike directly. So I make arrangements to get a little extra lunch time, and call mike hoppen. The car is cold, and I am told to call back when it's warm. I call back again.. and I am told he's on the phone, leave my number and he will call me back. an hour goes by. No call.. My laptop is about dead, and I am out of lunch time. So I call, and I get treated like I am inconveniencing the receptionist.. and I am told that he's "with another customer" I hang up... get angry and call her back... and tell the receptionist to tell mike to not bother calling me back I am going to go with APR, and that i am tired of this ****... I know it was out of line, but after spending 1300 on this set up, and being treated like an ignorant consumer who is hassling them. I can be sure that they will not get one more penny of my money. Which is a shame considering I wanted to go all the way with there stuff. Exhaust was in the works, and I was happy to see the results of there k04 kit.

Now it looks like APR stage III for me. I here it's a gt28rs and will run circles around the stock S4
Old 03-16-2004, 05:38 AM

Default Sorry to hear about that. A rare case indeed. Do not let it go w/out speaking to Mike directly(m)

voicing your concern & frustration. Even if you decide to switch(I wouldnt,but thats just me) I would still try to speak to him.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default But the problem is it sounds like Mike doesn't want to talk to him. It's a two way street...

...and Mike's parked somewhere else. I tried to deal with MTM recently and got the same condescending (poor dear, what do you know?) types of responses. Almost like a WC Fields blow off.

Now contrast that with someone like Dave at ecodetuning.com who will talk with you one-on-one without hesitation. Very friendly and approachable - a knowledgeable, enthusiatic guy. Hey, maybe that's the problem T3KN1K's having with Mike? He's not wearing the emerald glasses and being appropriately obsequious. What was he thinking?
Old 03-16-2004, 06:31 AM

Default That is a shame...

the problem is Hoppens customer service. Send an email to MTM HQ. I'm sure Roland Mayer is VERY interested in how his dealers represent his company.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:58 AM

Default When it comes to customer service...

JHM is not the sharpest knife in the kitchen.
MTM could really use someone with better service in the U.S.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Another Hoppen horror story........

you aren't the first and most likely won't be the last.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:38 AM

He's always been friendly & willing to help me with questions/concerns.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wow.. that's the first time I've heard about MTM pinging...

Mostly I hear this with other chips. I'm starting to lose faith in any chip.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's hit or miss - MTM chips had some pinging problems on TT 225's but not on all
Old 03-16-2004, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

also the B5 A4 chips had some pinging issues and the S4's had some altitude issues.

Quick Reply: Dissapointed with MTM's Service.