A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

faaaaaaaaaaaahk! so i'm playing with zender lip and gettng anxious cuz it's been a few weeks

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default faaaaaaaaaaaahk! so i'm playing with zender lip and gettng anxious cuz it's been a few weeks

since i got it. wasn't too cold out so i decide to put it on. cleaned and prepped the lid and sanded the bottom of the spoiler. didn't do too much sanding. anyway, i place the lip on the lid and it holds without sliding. thinking that i should tape it in place and flip it over to put the glue, i gently put tape on the center edge.

as i flip the lip up, the sucker slips off. luckily i caught it and it didn't hit the ground, but the damn tape ripped a small (ok, maybe not that small--pics tomorrow) piece of paint off the spoiler. it looks like there's 1 thin coat of paint and a base under. i can see the base slightly and it looks a little off--like when you peel a scab. anyway, i decided to just put the sucker on and pick up some touchup paint tomorrow. so b careful with your lip--especialy the tape on the edges.

SOME ADVICE ON THE INSTALL;

the betalink (forgot the actual name) glue is like tar. it is black and it is hard to squeeze out. if you fold the tube like a toothpaste, the sides will crack and it will start to ooze out of it so be careful. at first, i twisted the little cone looking cap on top of the tube and started sqeezing around the edges like i was icing a cake--hard to squeeze.

i finally took off the cone and squeezed it out all over the lip with concentrated globs about every 3 inches. you use the black looking putty knife to spread it around. grip the lip well and spread it. if you get some on the painted part of the lip or the car. don't worry, the begaclean does a great job of taking it off the painted glossy surfaces--just wish it did the same for my hand.

anyway, after you've spread it all over the bottom of the lip (i couldn't see white anymore on my lip, just black tar/glue), flip it over and adjust the lip so that it's sittng where it needs to be. you can slide it around until you get the right spot. then tape down the coreners and the center. press firmly on the lip to make it stick to the lid. once it sticks, use the betaclean and a small rag to clean the edges or the large area of glue/tar. if you wait when the glue is a little solid, it cleans it with no issues. i still have a bit of glue/tar on the edges of the lip and will finish cleaning it out tomorrow morning.

i then threw an old lamb car seat cover and placed a few heavy objects ontop of it to keep the lip firmly in place.

i'll take pics of the final results of the lip install as well as the battle scar--and maybe even my black hands since it probably won't be cleaned off by tomorrow. tried dawn, alcohol, orange, and even the betaclean to clean it but no luck...

thanks for reading...
Old 08-12-2004, 11:10 PM

Default we used some type of alcohol-based paint cleaner to get rid of that black glue junk off our hands...

good thing we were all at the body shop where they had everything we needed. i wish i would have taken pics of the installs but i didn't have my cam
Old 08-12-2004, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i wanted to as well but with all that tar and crap, i didn't want it on my camera

also was scared that the sucker would dry really fast and i wouldn't have time to adjust..

unfortunately, i have no clue where the paint remover is.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:28 PM

should have asked a buddy to help you out. its easier w/ 2 people. i almost dropped bbaudi382's
Old 08-12-2004, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i have no friends, only internet friends--oh wait...you guys are imagenary
Old 08-12-2004, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default either way, the spoiler is on good now and looks great!

after a 6 month wait
Old 08-13-2004, 12:04 AM

now update your sig
Old 08-13-2004, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds good. Hopefully the sides don't lift up like a few of ours! =P
Old 08-13-2004, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You should've asked me... I did my install last night... but I installed differently

I didn't want to put that adhesive that came with the kit, so I just bought two rolls of 3M double sided tape, prepped the area and installed. We'll see how it holds.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default hopefully it does. i think this tar thing is going to latch on lika baby to a breast

umm...wanna help me install my thermal instead?

Quick Reply: faaaaaaaaaaaahk! so i'm playing with zender lip and gettng anxious cuz it's been a few weeks