A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

faaaaaaaaaaaahk! so i'm playing with zender lip and gettng anxious cuz it's been a few weeks

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

done
Old 08-13-2004, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default when are you looking to do the install?

the install is quiet a PITA, and getting the alignment perfect is nearly impossible without some mad skillz yo. I would recommended getting a shop to do it like Lifetime Mufflers in RWC. But if you still would like to do it as a DIY, let me know and I can help out.

Installing my APR as a DIY was a serious PITA...
Old 08-13-2004, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default just did it...i got anxious again and went to Golden Auto Muffler...

called around and they seemed to be the cheapest--lady quoted me $70 on the phone. (emmanuel in alameda is still on vacation until monday). anyway, i went there and she looked at the box (without opening it) and said $120--i was like (fahker), im already here so might as well.

so they lift my car and unpack the box...then the lady comes back and says--"it's a dual muffler, it's going to be $150" and im like--yeah rite...i look at her like i'm about to fly kick her on the forehead and she says, "ok, well since i said $120 how about $130 instead?"

again i said, i'm already here so do it. the quickest way to get the old one was to cut it. i told them cut it at a good place so if i want to put it back together, i can reweld it. and so he did.

next issue. they're almost done with the install and i can see the rear from pretty far and it looks like the left side is snug against the lowers. i told them it was off. he told me that the flanges were off where the mufflers were conneted. he played with it a bit and couldn't get it right. i had to ask them for a wrench and losen the bolts and adjust it so it was close to fitting. everything seems fine, but it looks like the front bolt had some gap where he needed spacers. he had to heat the hanger from the exhaust (or at least i hope that's where he heated it), and he tapped it in with a hammer and bolted it. lastly, i had to adjust the left tip myself.

overall the job took about 1 1/2 hours which was what they quoted me. the install would have been superb if he just kept the bolts to the mufflers loose as well as the one that holds the mufflers. i might have to readajust it myself later on, but it looks close to perfect.

now to the exhaust eval. sounds really nice. definately louder than stock. i haven't fully ripped it up so can't fully evaluate it. you can hear if inside (btw, i got thermal race), but i think it's bareable. it definately makes its presence known. i can't wait to run it on the freeway and rip it up a bit. whether i like it or not, that thing is already bolted on. but yes sofar i do like it.

so..umm now that the exhaust is installed want to help me install the AMS SS instead? kekeke
Old 08-13-2004, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sure.... but I don't have the circlip plier tool. That's absolutely essential.

Just let me know when you'd like to do it.. Takes about an hour. More if you want to remove that stupid pin.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i think i'll try to go at it myself...eventually...thanks for the offer. i might ask questions

online if i get stuck. prolly wont do it for another few weeks...