A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

funny (disappointing) experience at stealership............

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default funny (disappointing) experience at stealership............

So I went in to get my control arm recall done, which they did, no questions asked. While I was in the waiting room, the service guy came out to talk to a woman sitting there who had her car in for an oil change. He told her that he noticed that her brake pads were getting low, about 10% left on the fronts and about 25% on the rear. The car was a newer A6. She said that they could go ahead and replace them, he then told her that they would also need to replace the brake rotors on all 4, and the fronts might need new calipers as well. He "assured" her that this needed to be done soon. She agreed to it, trusting that they would never take advantage of her ignorance! After the guy left, I went over to her and told her that I thought they might be taking advantage of her, you don't normally need rotors, and especially calipers replaced just because your pads are low, and that she should go question them on this. She went over and talked to the service desk not telling them that I had told her all this. They looked up and gave me this evil look, because I think that they saw me talking to her. They ending up "doing some more research" and found, that really only the pads needed replacing. What a surprise! Are all dealerships so dishonest, or is it just the people that work there???
Old 02-04-2005, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Jeez, that's horrible!!! I honestly think you should post the name of the dealership here so that...

AoA would see and reprimand them (assuming they'd do something about such things)!
Old 02-04-2005, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Rotors are becoming so cheap they are almost disposable

Over the past 15 years it's been harder and harder to find a place to cut them. They are so cheap I just buy new ones now.

So rotors I could possibly see, but calipers... ****!

Good job!
Old 02-04-2005, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Better hope they were done with your car when they realized you might give her some neat advice!
Old 02-04-2005, 09:47 AM

thats a clue for u to not take ur car there...just another reason for AOA to audit stealership.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Good for you !
Old 02-04-2005, 10:05 AM

Default Calipers sound very unusual, but rotors would be pretty normal...

especially on an A6. Would you rather pay for the parts(rotors) and no labor, or come back in say 5-10k miles with warped rotors and pay the labor again.

Kind of like doing timing belts, cheaper labor to go ahead and do the waterpump and t-stat while your already there.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

did she give you her number as a thanks!
Old 02-04-2005, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've worked in retail a bit and I wonder why Audi doesn't employ the secret shopper method

for stuff like this. I feel like the dealerships that are this bad would be found out.

bill
Old 02-04-2005, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I am sure all of us on AW will volunteer as secret shoppers :-)

Quick Reply: funny (disappointing) experience at stealership............