A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Got a '06 Mercedes C280 4-Matic loaner...some thoughts :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Got a '06 Mercedes C280 4-Matic loaner...some thoughts :)

Dropped my A4 off for maintenance and got a '06 C280 4-Matic with 5700 miles as a loaner For the record, my dealer has both Audi and MB, across the street from one another, so they share loaners. Usually get an A4 or A6 as a loaner so this was a nice change.

The new 3.0 engine is pretty nice (228hp 221tq)...good power and pick up. Definitely has the power to pull and is more than enough for a daily commuter, imo. The engine produces a nice healthy sound when pushed. Driving a turbo engine vs NA, you notice the differences right away. With the A4, it takes a second for the turbo to spool up and propel whereas the 3.0 power comes on linearly.

The only other time i've driven an '05+ w203 was at the ML event last year, C230 Sport.

The interior space is a bit smaller than my A4. The A4 is wider in the cabin, doesn't feel as "tight" as the C280. Materials were nice, solid touch to everything. It seems to be solidly built. Though, I'm not a fan of the climate control...you'd think MB would be able to provide a digital climate control for the amount of money the car costs. The stereo was nice, I'm not sure if its the HK system (no markings) but sounds were good, nice bass provided.

I found it interesting that the movement of the seat forward and backward was manual and the seat height adjustment was electric.

The ride is typical MB ride, nice and plush. Absorbs bumps pretty well. My A4 has the sport suspension, so it's a bit more "choppy" in terms of the ride, so can't really compare sport suspension for sport suspension. Handles in turns pretty well for a non-sport.

The standard issue 5-speed does it's job pretty well, holding gears going up hill, downshifts fairly quickly when stepped on. Touch-shift does well, upshifts when hitting redline, though shifts could be a tad quicker. I wish MB "rev-matches" when downshifting using touch-shift.

It's been a while since having an MB to drive for a day, since I bought my A4 really. Have driven other MB's in the family for errands or whatnot but not another C-Class to compare with my A4. Also, my first 4-matic test vs Quattro. It's dry outside so can't really comment on the two systems with a comparison in snowy or wet weather. Overall, the C280 is a nice car. Materials are nice, solid, good ride. Definitely different than my A4, as they are different cars with different characteristics.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very nice

With the A4, it takes a second for the turbo to spool up and propel whereas the 3.0 power comes on linearly.

I personally like turbos much more than NA engines of similar size(of which I consider the 3.0 to be). If you keep a turbo in the rev range it needs to be in, it's much quicker and more involving. More fun. Good review.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default O i agree. Just a nice change of engines. Downshifting does put me into the seat while accelerating

which is nice. The 3.0 is pretty nice, didn't think it'd provide this type of power feel. Accelerates rather quickly for it's specs.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 228hp 221tq is about what I have (I think, or rather I would hope LOL)

And my car is quick but not fast. That's why I want a k04 damnit.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:36 PM

Default A few things I would add...

Very accurate review. Mainly, the fact that the A4 is more of a sport sedan and the MB is more of a luxury sedan. Even though they're in a similar price category, the MB to me has always been more of a "highway warrior" than a sporting car. Just my opinion.

My biggest complaint about the MB has always been the time it takes to downshift. The last one that I drove frequently was an '02 C230 sport (I realize you were in the 6 cyl) and while it was nice and quick when engaged, the tranny just took forever to find the gear. Maybe this has changed in the past few years, but that was always my biggest gripe.

Oh, and this is not to insult MB, but have you ever noticed how they seem built for old people? Understandably they are expensive cars owned primarily by an older demographic, but everything in them moves slowly: the cd ejects slowly, cupholders pop out slowly, oh **** handles retract back into place slowly, et cetera. I think it's funny. I will say, if you ever have to drive hungover, you can't beat a Mercedes. Quiet and comfy! And fit & finish is always top notch.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default True. Though the new C230 Sport or C350 Sport I feel MB has done a pretty good job....

They've definitely have created the sport model for the younger crowd. They handled great, sporty ride, agressive styling. That's why for the C, they have the sport versions and the luxury versions.

The tranny is adaptive like the tiptronics. So if the one you drove, the owner is not very aggressive in driving, it'll take it's time shifting and such. But if he/she was agressive, gear changes should be quick and hold gears longer, etc.

But yes, MB's make their cars for luxury and comfort and cruising, esp highway trips! Sometimes it's nice to go back to that for a day or two then back into the A4. Certainly been a while for me, use to have a '94 C220, gave it to my brother with 144k miles when I bought the A4. They're bulletproof!
Old 07-20-2006, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So how far i nadvance do you call Clair to make your service appointments in order to

ensure that you get an Audi or MB loaner?
Old 07-20-2006, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default haha, average, usually like 4-5 days ahead. Do you get loaners other than Audi?

I get Audi's all the time, only once I've gotten a Nissan Sentra (cuz they ran out of Audi's at the end of the day).
Old 07-20-2006, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Guess I get it for another night...dealer is a little behind working on my car, list isn't

*that* bad.

Oil Change
Rotate Tires
Check front pads due to squeeling (could be time)
Brake Fluid Flush/Change
Moldy smell from A/C

Oh well, another night to enjoy the benz!
Old 07-20-2006, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Seems odd that thay small list would require them to have the car two days.

Quick Reply: Got a '06 Mercedes C280 4-Matic loaner...some thoughts :)